SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shanna07

Conifers in shade?? (i.e., north side of house)

shanna07
12 years ago

Hi all!!

I need your help!!--I have a general question about conifers, regarding light exposure...

I'm planning a shade garden--a 5' wide strip running along the north side of my house--and I would absolutely LOVE to have a few conifers (dwarf ones) in it. For a long time, I've just been assuming that this area would be considered FULL shade--and I know that most conifers are labeled as "sun to PART shade"...

But I recently read an article online that said that the area on the north side of a building is actually LESS than full shade (i.e. brighter), because it's still "open to the sky" (provided there are no trees/foliar canopies in the area--which there are NOT, on the north side of my house--nothing that would block the sunlight)...

So I took that to imply that the area would therefore be considered PART shade...??? Can I treat it as part shade??

My main question being, WOULD I BE ABLE TO GROW CONIFERS IN THIS AREA?!? (those that ARE labeled as "part shade")--an area where, depending on how far out from the house/wall they're positioned, they MAY receive VERY LITTLE direct sunlight?--or MAYBE even NONE at ALL?? (but again, even if it was only INDIRECT light, that indirect light would be very BRIGHT!)...???

In the summer, the area MAY get some direct sun in very early morning and/or in late evening--but I'm NOT SURE, as I didn't pay enough attention last year... (I live in zone 5--FAR southern Wisconsin, 10 miles from Illinois border--if that gives you an idea of my latitude...)

If I CAN get away with having some conifers in my shade garden, will they just merely SURVIVE (but look kind of "sad"), or is it possible they might actually THRIVE and perform very well???

Finally... I realize Tsuga is the most shade-tolerant kind of conifer, but I am MUCH more interested in the other types--mainly chamaecyparis, thuja, pine, juniper, & cryptomeria, but also abies, picea, & some others (again, dwarf cultivars)... So when I say I want to grow conifers in my shade garden, these are what I'm referring to.

So, not to be redundant, but can I grow these kinds of conifers on the north side of my house??? (And if so, will they perform well??)

Thanks!!

Shanna

P.S. Please forgive the length of this post--I apologize for all the rambling questions!! :)

Comments (7)