SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpk250

care for 8 foot gratefruit tree

kpk250
16 years ago

Hi,

I have been worried about the pending doom of my gratefruit tree. Let me start from the beginning. My wife served me a gratefruit roughly three years ago and I noticed one of the seeds was germinating. Let me tell you I have eaten many many gratefruits in my life, and I have never seen THAT before! So I decided to try to plant it and grow it. It started in a small pot and I watered it with a high nitrogen wondergrow fertilizer mixed to a dilute solution. I kept it in a south side bay window inside my house. Three years later and several pots later I had to move it outside as it got too big. It started to grow sideways across the 9 foot ceiling in my family room. The latest pot is about 18" high x 16" diameter. The tree is fairly spindley. It has the main trunk and two branches with leaves and thorns at the root of each leaf. The trunk is about 1 inch diameter at the bottom and tapes to about 1/4 inch at the top. Each of the branches are about 1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter.

I can't bring it inside as it is too big. But I feel attached to it at this point. What can I do?

Comments (10)