SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candogal_gw

care for tree that must be moved?

candogal
12 years ago

I'm an experienced gardener (veggies, perennials, starting from seed, composting), but I haven't done much (purposefully) with trees since our lot is mostly wooded.

Our leach field needs to be replaced, and the new field will be very close to our one ornamental tree, a Japanese Maple that's about 7-8 ft tall. It's very important to us, since it's a memorial to our daughter who died as an infant. Our leach field guy says the tree has a big change of getting smacked or run over by the heavy equipment, so it seems safest to move it.

I know this isn't something to be done lightly, like dividing perennials, but it seems like the safest course. I've grown lots of different kinds of plants from seed, so I'm familiar with having a "nursery" area with watering systems, etc.

The one good thing about all this is that when we planted our tree 13 years ago, I didn't have a clue what I was doing and the poor thing is way too deep. So we'll have a chance to plant it at a healthy depth, which I now understand is with the trunk flare visible. Despite my clueless-ness years ago, the tree is healthy and has grown well. I did dig down with my hand trowel and fingers and found some girdling roots, unfortunately.

1) What's a reasonable amount of root ball to try and dig up? The leach field guy is happy to do this with his heavy equipment if that will help.

2) The leach field will take 4-7 days to put in place. Is it enough to wrap the root ball in burlap and keep it watered until that's done? Should I water it daily?

3) What should I do with girdling roots and such? Cut them back? How do I know which roots are unhealthy for the tree? (I'm not used to looking at tree roots at all - our other trees are 50-100+ ft oaks, maples, and pines.)

4) Seems like there are a zillion Japanese Maples. Have any tips for me to find out which cultivar this is? I'd like to have a better idea of its full mature height to make sure I place it in the best location.

Thanks for your help. I'd like to make sure our precious tree comes through this healthy and intact.

- Trish

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor