SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

Discovered that toads do climb

lesdvs9
16 years ago

I was looking out the window this morning and saw the mum plant was moving. Looked closer and realized that there were at least 3 toads in the plant, LOL* Sure wish they'd climb up in the hydrangeas and eat whatever is eating them up. I pulled a rose slug off one of the new roses the other day. That's supposed to be one of their favorites too. I don't think I have as many toads in the front as in the back yard though. I need to increase the housing in the front yard, clay pots:) I filled their swimming pools up though. I keep catching them in the backyard ones. Only thing is the cats think those are special water dishes for them! Crazy cats, I'm using the trays for platers as water holes for them.

I watched the neighbor vacuming them up last weekend though, so some of them may be trying to poison them and this may be why there aren't as many in front as I have in the back yard either. Her husband got out a huge Round-up and spray every inch of their flower beds while she did that. Course first they took out every plant they had and threw them all away first. Then stuck three planters that looked like Agapanthus in one bed and walked away. They threw away dwarf versions though.

I don't think they realize how many bugs and mosquitos the toads catch and kill. They held a meeting in the subdivision wanting the owner to do something about the numbers, that and the numbers of swallows. Also they're unhappy about the ponding basin behind our house, said they didn't know it was going to be there. Hello...it was on the map when they picked out their house and discussed. A lot of these people are young and first time home owners and have no idea about nature and what it does for them.

Personally I like the toads and the birds. I have a lot fewer problems with pests since they showed up. White flies were terrible until the birds and toads made an appearance. They're all gone now. They were last summer too, most of these people didn't live here then to know that, their houses weren't built yet.

Comments (7)