SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

too many amorous toads ....!

11 years ago

Have had a huge toad for several years(don't know how it got in as our yard is enclosed with a concrete block wall!)& last year was joined by two smaller ones. One night it was joined by the two others & what a racket by the pond every night until one day I saw 'jillions' of teeny black toad eggs in the pond water! Soon little polywogs appeared but I never saw if any developed further or where they went as all of a sudden they were gone. This year those three came back but it took almost a month of their nightly amorous racket (they respond to our dogs barking too!) until today I see the pond loaded with teeny black babies in the water. I thought perhaps the rather large goldfish would eat some of them but still.... what am I to do if all of these grow into adults?!! Oddly, our four dogs don't seem to pay attention to the toads even when I

put one in my hand (they show no fear of me!) & show it to them ... do toads have some unpleasant aroma that dogs don't like! The toads often dive to the pond bottom (I didn't know they liked water like frogs!)& scare the heck out of the poor goldies & stir up the bottom sediment!During the day they submurge their bodies & rest their heads on the lily pads!

Have no idea where they over-winter in our yard either ... am afraid they go in the garden & in the Spring I may dig one of them up! What can I do with them all?

Comments (5)