SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairy_toadmother

toad pellets and other curiosities discovered

fairy_toadmother
17 years ago

in the dark of night....

1. so, here i am thinking, "oooo maybe this is an owl pellet." being the morbidly curious self that i am, i pick it apart looking for bones. jeff corwin would have been proud of me. well, maybe not, since i was using a stick and a leaf to protect my hands.

back to this pellet, it sounds crunchy and "what is this white thing?" however, i am reminding myself that it is awfully wet and suspiciously in the exact place a toad has been hanging out for the last 2 weeks. i get a piece on my leaf, "mmmmm smells fishy...why does this seem familiar?" the white thing turns out to be a small rock and the crunchies were the result of countless beetle "shells!" A-Ha! a toad must have done this.

the familiarity keeps tickling my mind's rearview mirror and i finally remember- i once had a toad in a bucket. when i got back to the toad there was this black lump in thre with it and it stank like dead fish. at the time, i was afraid it puked its guts out from stress after i remembered, "that wasn't there before!"

2. the other day, a cicada had just emerged from the shell. its entire body was pale green, instaed of that black and green coloration. it was crawling across the sidewalk. when it reached a landscape timber, i turned around. "crazy thing, wandering around aimlessly right back the way you came." then i realized, its aimless wanderings actually straightened out its wings. (these were, btw, initially in tiny clumps and also a pale opaque green instead of transluscent like i would think.) after the wings were straight, it climbed up a vertical surface. it was just like it knew its wings were ironed and it was time to hang them dry, as well as let gravity stretch them further.

3. a luna moth flew into my headlights while i was driving about 10 mph. it kept swirling around, flying erratically in front of me in lunacy. it then landed on the road in front of me. i thought maybe the headlights were screwing up mr. sulu's navigation, so i stopped and shut off my headlights. after all, i didn't want to run over such a gorgeous, unusual microbeast.

when i turned my lights back on, it was nowhere to be found. "that was fast." was this some nightmare and i am going to turn my head to the right in this pitch blackness and scream b/c giant silvery green eyes are staring me in the face? is it an alien? the mothman? will there be a claw hanging from the doorknob when i get out?

any others? or am i now in the blackhole?

Comments (8)