SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19690609

February 2014 what looks good/bad in your garden?

User
10 years ago

I beat Grant to it :)

Looking good:
The well-pruned ironwood and one mesquite.
The compost piles and shrub beds that have all the chipped branches from the above as mulch and compost ingredients.

The cool-season veggie bed is finally showing some growth.

The herbs, Matt's Wild Cherry, serrano chilis and tomatillos that are in starter flats for later. It should be called Matt's Feral cherry for the way ti tends toi run wild and self-sow.

Planted the "great wall of tomatoes" with Romas. It's a wall of remesh - two mesh panels about a foot apart - with drip lines for holding up tomatos.

Planted more Roma tomatoes in one compost bin. Because my method is "slow composting" the bins can sit there and be ugly for a long time. They have drip lines for keeping it moist. So planting something trailing covers the bin, takes advantage of the water and makes dual use of the space.

{{gwi:274886}}

Looking bad:
The Arabian Jasmine got frost-burn
The buffalo grass lawn is still brown. I need to mow and de-thatch it (more for the compost heap)
More mesquites to prune and remove deadwood from.

Mucho raking and cleanup to do.

===========
We're in a clean -up year, getting ready to move, so we're "staging" the yard for resale. We want the place to look awesomely green and fertile, because a major marketing point is the "urban homesteading" and "raise free-range children" aspects of it. It's almost half an acre with most of that in the back yard.

Comments (22)