SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden

grant_in_arizona
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one, hah, okay, it's only March 1st. Anyway, let's talk about what's looking good/bad/awful in our gardens.

Here are a couple of things that looks pretty good:

Phacelia campanularia ("desert bluebells") just starting to flower. Definitely my very favorite desert wildflower. Neat nickel-sized true denim blue flowers in late winter/spring. Let them set seed and you'll never need to re-plant them.

Aloe maculata (formerly Aloe saponaria) while common and an aggressive spreader, is welcome in my garden because of its ease of growth, low-growing leaves, and tons and tons of pretty winter/spring blooms. Here's one on the NORTH side of my house, along the walkway to the front door. Second pic includes Wilson the tennis ball to show relative size.

<P>

Finally, the Penstemon parryi plants are starting to flower. Great short-lived native perennials that flower each winter/spring and self sow around the garden as well. Go VERY light on summer water when they're in a heat-induced stupor. Overwatering in summer can cause them to rot.

<P>

Okay, I'm going to stop adding pics to this post since this is my first time doing so since Gardenweb became part of Houzz. Hopefully these pics work, hah! Let me know.

Happy gardening!

Grant

Comments (47)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting