SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

April 2014 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?

grant_in_arizona
10 years ago

Happy April everyone,

Yesterday was warm and wonderful, today (the 2nd) is a bit chilly, but we're expecting to return to warm again tomorrow and for the long range forecast. It's a great time to enjoy the Valley and our gardens. What's looking good or bad, or awful in your garden?

I'm still enjoying tons of leaf lettuce and overwintered tomatoes from the garden, plus the last few 'Meyer Improved' and 'Lisbon' lemons from the garden, and am starting to plant seeds for summer stuff. What about you?

Here's something that's looking really good right now, the first of many, many flower buds on my large pot of Hippeastrum striatum (a species type of amaryllis). These plants are super vigorous, and make pea sized bulb offsets at the drop of a hat, hah, so they quickly fill up pots and beds, forming very nice evergreen clumps. The blooms aren't large, but they're my favorite color, ORANGE. Here's a quick pic of a bloom, and the pot. Yes, I know there's a self sown Cereus peruvianus in the pot, lol. I've promised myself to finally unpot the plants and get him into the ground after the amaryllis is done flowering. I hope you'l take a look and enjoy the pics.

{{gwi:400286}}

{{gwi:400287}}

Send your updates (pics or not) when you have time. We'd love to see/hear! Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics (so far!) from my little garden April 2014

Comments (43)