SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Tea types? Quickly tall or slowly wide?

sherryocala
13 years ago

I've found there are two (maybe 3) distinct growth habits among the teas in my garden and was wondering if they are comparable to yours.

The first type gets tall rather quickly, taking on the famous vase shape. I haven't had many of them as it turns out. The two that are prime examples are Monsieur Tillier and Rosette Delizy. They shot up the first year, started to V out the second year and got quite wide the 3rd year, almost losing the V because of their width, but it was still there. To a lesser/slower degree Mlle Franziska Kruger, General Schablikine, Arcadia Louisiana Tea and General Gallieni seem to be growing upright but the V isn't there yet. Mrs B R Cant may be in this group, but mine being on fort seems to make her unlike these other fine-boned teas.

The second type grows low and wide first, staying in the 1' to 2' range for the first couple years and very slowly adding height. They are Bermuda's Anna Olivier, Enchantress and Souv de Francois Gaulain. I would put Le Vesuve in this group but he's faster to attain height in the 3rd year - oh, and width, too. He's a biggun.

The third type may be a combination more than a separate type, but they become rounder bushes with no obvious V so that makes me think of them as a 3rd type. They are Duchesse de Brabant, La Sylphide, Mme Antoine Mari and Mme Antoine Rebe. I have a rose labeled Rose Nabonnand (no info to be found anywhere) that is growing this way. If Jean Bach Sisley is a tea, he grows this way as well. She's still really small, but Faith Whittlesey seems to be falling into this group.

A fourth group may just be one rose - the Cochet clan. They seem to grow gangly, open and at all angles. Maman Cochet is throwing long, hefty side shoots everywhere and far apart so she is the exact opposite of bushy, much like MBRC is for me. White Maman Cochet is still in a pot but is doing the same things, and Niles seems to want to throw long canes but only a few so far. Poor guy is slow to the nth degree!

Have you all had similar results? Or is this a high heat/humidity/limy sand phenomenon? (Notice I didn't say "sandy soil". I don't think this stuff qualifies as soil, slthough it does grow big oaks & pines.) I will add that Mons Tillier and Rosette Delizy are no longer in my garden due to alarming cane loss (whole, 4+ ft, young green canes going black). I surmised that these fast-growing plants were outgrowing their nutrients (gut not science), and when I removed them, I found their roots were in really crappy limy (7.3+/- pH)gray cement-like sand, so I wonder if that wasn't supplying them with the nutrients needed for healthy canes. In light of my experience with these two type-1 roses I have resolved to stay away from them although the others of this type in my garden that aren't so extreme in growth rate are doing fine. (I suspect their soil conditions aren't much different either.) I prefer the health and growth habit of the type-2 roses. Type-3 & -4 roses are healthy in my garden but have a much more open structure which I am less fond of but isn't a reason to remove them.

Now that I've read what I wrote it, it just seems to be an expansion on the Vintage growth types. So in some ways I'm only re-inventing the wheel, but in others I'm putting into words my real-life experience that somehow I hope explains and categorizes these roses for easier planning in our gardens. "Knowing" on paper what a rose is going to do is not the same as "knowing" in the ground what a rose does.

Sorry to throw another element into this already too long dissertation, but I'm wondering if the root systems of the different types mirror their above-ground growth habit. In my case keeping much of their roots out of my native soil would be better for the plants and would definitely dictate in plant selection. Those of you with clay would offer a better environment for the type-1's if that is the case.

Sherry

Comments (25)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!