SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darbygurl

Lasagne Bed Question/slightly off topic

darbygurl
16 years ago

hi rose friends,

hope everyone's well. I remember a few months back on this forum there were some great posts with photos and instructions about lasagna beds/cardboard layering w/organic matter. The results looked truly amazing and it seemed so easy.

I told my husband I would consult the experts on this board.

We have two wide beds on either side of our front door where I had planted over 125 tulip, daffodil, & various bulbs last fall. Unfortunately, crabgrass & other weeds are having a big party through the mulch, and the beds look really awful right now. DH's idea is to just dig both beds up (a gargantuan task in heavy clay soil) and he doesn't care about the bulbs I planted. He just wants to kill the weeds. He has also mentioned RoundUp.

I remembered the great threads here on lasagna beds getting rid of weeds.

My question...

If I started laying cardboard & organic matter down over these beds in the next few weeks, would last fall's bulbs still be able to make it up to the surface next spring? (sorry if this is a dumb question!) I put so much effort into planting those bulbs, I thought I'd better check with y'all first.

any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!!! (and some more Breck's bulbs arrived yesterday! guess I'll have to find another temporary planting area for those guys!

Many thanks!

Darbygurl in VA

Comments (2)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals