SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Vintage textile odors (slightly off topic)

Fori
13 years ago

This is a little off topic, but not entirely. It's a "collectible".

I recently got an old camping trailer. It's cute, from 1974. And it has a smell that I THINK is coming from the fabrics. It's a clingy acrid chemical stink that attaches to other textiles. I believe the fabrics are synthetic. I machine washed a set of vinyl-backed curtains and while they survived the washing, they still smell. There are also window curtains in a rayonish fabric that are very fragile from age and I'm sort of afraid to wash them. But I have to. They really smell.

Anyway, I guess I'm wondering if synthetic textiles from 1974 are inclined to sublimate or otherwise emit stinky gases. Or foam cushions. And how would one wash delicate curtains that may or may not be emitting the stench but are definitely full of it? I used regular laundry detergent and washing machine on the heavy vinyl-backed curtains because I didn't think I'd ever use them, but the window curtains are important! I could make new ones but darnit the kitsch factor on the originals is tremendous.

Any ideas? It's a folding camper, so everything gets closed up in a tight package with little air circulation, but no sun exposure. So the window drapes being so fragile is due to age, but not UV exposure.

Thanks!

Comments (20)