SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisatx04

Think I'll try again...

lisatx04
15 years ago

When I last posted here, I was having a terrible time with roses. To remind you-live in NW Houston, zone 9. New to gardening. Attempting to use organic methods. Had bought some HT's, thinking I was doing the "right" thing. Leaves turned yellow, brown and plants looked horrible. Too much water, not enough water-made me crazy. I decided to just keep going, keep watering and see what happened.

Now, almost 2 months later, the plants are still around. All have new growth, and I have had blooms on 3 of the 5!! One, Plum Frost, has gotten tall and put out many blooms in the last 2 weeks or so. Now no more buds. Disneyland had a few blooms, which smelled wonderful. I have a bush that is still small and not great looking, but has put out about 5 creamy pale yellow blooms, also with a nice smell. Have no idea what the name is. These latter 2 do not have any buds either. All have new, red growth. They still also have yellow leaves, some of which turn brown, but the new growth has me inspired.

Questions: should I feed them now? It is still well over 90 degrees here. Should I expect better and/or more blooms next year, which will be season 2?

I had created a new garden bed in my south facing yard in the beginning of summer, and now have decided that I will be turning that into a rose bed. Will stay away from HT's. Am exploring which type to plant, although I am thinking Earthkind. I do have a Belinda's Dream in there already, but it is not doing well. Only a few blooms since May. Question-anything special I should do to prep the bed for roses? I have a compost bin, so have access to that. The bed is mulched, so I will remove the mulch to prep the bed, then replace it. After the bed is prepped, should I wait to plant in spring, or do it in the fall? Feed at planting or wait until spring? Remember, I am thinking these will be Earthkind Roses, but may look at some China's. Need more info on them.

Sorry for a long post. I am getting the "rose bug" again, and am wanting to start off giving the plants the best chance for survival.

Comments (2)