SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Is lacunosa considered tricky to grow?

quinnfyre
15 years ago

I'm a bit of a hoya newbie. Like orchids, I got the sense that they were rather addicting, so I resisted them for years. Then I got on an African violet kick (I guess I didn't realize these were addicting, ha), which led to an orchid kick, and now, in for a penny, in for a pound, I guess... I decided to give in and go for hoyas too. I received some cuttings in a trade, and one of them was a speckled Hoya lacunosa. I had looked them up here, got the sense it was a little touchy, and was trying to avoid it. But it was added as a surprise to my shipment of cuttings. Once I saw it, though, I couldn't help but find it absolutely lovely. And it was already rooting!

I potted it into a 2.5 inch pot, using a light AV potting mix (peat, vermiculite, and perlite). It was three stems. Pretty quickly, though, 2 of the 3 went downhill fast. I've only got the one stem now, and that one seems to be doing pretty well. I've since placed the pot in a tray filled with Hydroton, and I've been watering the leaves and stems daily, avoiding the soil until it just starts to dry a bit. The runoff from watering the leaves goes into the Hydroton, which hopefully provides some extra humidity.

So, looking for your opinions: It seems like a lot of you grow lacunosa. Do you think it is picky? Or is it just tricky to get started? Do you think it is a faster or slower grower? Am I doing this right? I'm hoping to get this little guy to take off and be happy, because I don't think I'll try it again super soon if I fail (too many other distractions). I love seeing all those full baskets of lacunosa leaves, and the scent is legendary! I'd like to experience this famous scent myself.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (17)

Sponsored