SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_bustopher

a few observations on some of my more doubtful Austins

I thought I would pass on a few observations this year that may be significant. There was another post about Lady Emma Hamilton on its own roots. While I have two plants, they are grafted, so I can't comment directly on that. However, I do have other Austins on their own roots. The Squire was recently transplanted to another spot and is slowly trying to get re-established. It did have a nice red flower this year. That was important because I don't remember it blooming at all last year. Symphony and Eglantyne have both been in the ground now about 10 years. Both had record flowers this year and nice, new growth. Symphony still remains a small plant. My Happy Child on its own roots has had more flowers this year and is getting bigger. It, too, has been going for about 10 years now. By comparison, my own-root Duchesse de Rohan took about 7 years to start repeating. My grafted Rokoko took about 8 years before it started to repeat at all. Maybe these small band Austins just take extra time.

The other observation I want to make is regarding my Summer Songs. They have actually rebloomed this summer, and the color was a solid orange, not the funeral parlor pallor pink that they have had in the past if they rebloomed at all. They still get long and lanky, but they are beginning to repeat credibly. Maybe they take time also, and more than some of the others. Just thought I would share what I was seeing.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!