SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foose4string

Some random observations for '08

foose4string
15 years ago

All my tomatoes are still green, earlies and paste nearing maturity. Planted mid May, 16 varieties, no multiples. A few new varieties to me, mostly repeats from year's past.

Early Girl- Everything was setting before her, but now showing typical abundance of fruit and will be right on schedule. This planted is loaded per usual.

Roma VF- Usual determinate growth, looking very healthy, showing some nice fruit, without the BER problems I've seen in the past.

Celebrity- First year. Very healthy looking plant, setting VERY well, loads nicely shaped fruit. Not quite as compact as I was expecting, but not running away from me either. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Taste to be determined, but I'm hopeful.

Jet Star- Healthy looking, setting lots of fruit. Not quite as prolific as Early Girl, but a good runner up.

Big Mamma- First year. Hybrid paste from Burpee. Behaving more like an Heirloom. This plant has been with out a doubt one of the wimpiest looking plants I've grown...very temperamental ever since setting out to harden. Curled leaves, not much foliage, but tall and wispy. Doesn't like the heat. Setting some nice, big pastes though...as advertised. This plant just doesn't look happy, but some varieties are just apt to look that way I guess. Anyone else have a similar experience???

Opalka- Man, I'm sure glad I gave this one another shot this year. I almost didn't. Looking very healthy and happy with LOADS, I mean, LOADS of tomatoes.

Little Brandywine Hybrid- Another first for me from Burpee. Super THICK stalk with compact branch growth. Large, dark green leaves that are curling up something fierce. Almost looks over-fertilized or something, but I haven't used any fertilzer in several weeks, and no other plants exhibit this type of behavior. No aphid problem or anything. Two tiny fruits so far. Very odd plant.

Big Beef- One of my best, tallest, healthiest looking plants. Some nice, large, evenly shaped tomatoes so far, and several of them. Taste has been good in the past, but nothing that stuck out in my mind.

Rutgers- I've grown this for several years from the same seed pack(labeled as indeterminate). This is the first time I've ever gotten a sport that exhibits determinate characteristics. Very compact plant with several smallish tomatoes so far. Every other time I've grown it, it's grown faster, taller, and sprawled more. Not this year.

Kellogg's Breakfast- This one is showing some serious yellowing and spots underneath. Very prone to disease it looks like. Very few fruit. Had problems with BER on this variety last year. I'm just not sold on this variety. Fruit is ok, but not spectacular enough to put up with the problems. I'll think long and hard about growing this again.

Brandyboy- Nice vigorous plant as usual. Slow to set this year compared to years past, and many of the earliest were catfaced, which I've pruned. Growing out of that trend and looking more promising now.

Brandywine Sudduth's- Plant looks nice and healthy. Only a few fruit so far, but it IS setting and looking better as it goes. Should get several great tasting tomatoes out of this if I can repeat year's past.

Marianna's Peace- Second chance. I'm glad I gave it another shot. Looking healthy with several large ribbed fruit. Some catfacing. Should do ok for me this year...crossing fingers.

Mortgage Lifter- Having to prune lower leaves quicker than most, but not half as bad as Kellogg's. Several large fruit. Some catfacing. When I get a few of these BIG slicers, I'm a happy man.

Cherokee Purple- Looking good so far. Some lower pruning but not excessive. Several fruit of varying shapes and sizes, same as years past. I don't drool over this variety like some of ya's, but it is very good and worth the space it occupies.

Red October- First for me this year. Another Burpee Hybrid.

Looks like your average hybrid tomato plant with several average sized fruit. I don't expect this to be a standout. But hey, I've the seed pack a few years now and figured I ought to grow one before the seed gets too old and for curiosities sake. Who knows? Might be ok.

>>>Anyone having or had similar experiences regarding these varieties?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES