SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

observations re manual pollination of lychees.

lycheeluva
14 years ago

Here are some random observations regarding the pollination of my 3 lychee trees.

1- the trees are in a relatively cool environment- 45-60f

2- the flowers are taking several months to open- I suspect this is due to the cool environment.

3. the hak ip tree started off with the first 30 or so flowers being female and th next 20 or so flowers have been male. Some of the hak ip female flowers look like they have been successfully pollinated with some swelling of the little fruit apparent.

4- the sweetheart also started off with female flowers opening- about 30 so far. No sign of any male flowers so far. No sign of successful pollination so far.

5. the mauritius has opened about 15 flowers so far- all male.

6- the male flowers, once open show no sign of pollen on their anthers for the first 24 hours. Then the pollen sacks become slightly darker and have the slightest appearance of a powdery texture- this stage last for 24 hours, however even during this powdery stage, when I rub the anthers against my finger or the female flower, there is no sign of pollen powder having come off the anther and placed onto the finger/female flower. I am using very small tweezers to pluck off the male flowers and then rub them against the female flower. This seems a much more direct method than using a brush. I am concerned that I do not see obvious signs of pollen transfer? am I supposed to, or is the pollen so small that the grains are not seen being left on the female flower?

After this second 24 hours period, the pollen sacks go from yellow to brown and they shrink and I believe the pollen is not viable at that point.

The flowers during this stage have a very subtle and pleasant scent of lychees.

Anyone know the answer tp my pollen q?

Comments (13)