SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bengz6westmd

08/09 Winter damage

bengz6westmd
15 years ago

This past winter, the ground froze pretty severely w/little snow cover -- maybe worst since the late 70's (Jan/Feb 1985 was also bad). Coldest temp was -8F (-22C) in late Jan. Actually, the big majority of my trees/shrubs weren't damaged, so that's a relief. Some effects should be of interest, tho. Most of my trees were planted spring 2004 & are completely exposed, for reference.

Fringe tree -- continuing disappointment. The 3 were winter-killed to the ground the first winter, but managed to get to several feet tall & wide by this past autumn. The 2 largest were again killed to the ground this winter. I do see tiny sprouts at the bases at least.

Crape mrytle, Natchez & Catawbas -- killed to ground. Not surprising I guess, but aren't these new varieties supposedly hardier than the original? I see no difference in hardiness between these and the "original" type at my place growing up in the 60s/70s.

Butterfly bush -- looks like they're killed to the ground. One was an impressive 12' tall x 15' wide w/arching stems.

Green giant arborvitaes -- fair amount of stem browning, but most foilage has greened up & permanent damage is minor.

'Victoria' Southern magnolia -- some leaf-browning on windward side, only alittle on leeward side.

Pondcypress -- it's not much of an issue growth-wise, but these usually have some twig dieback of the late-season growth of the previous yr. I don't see this damage on either Dawn redwood or baldcypress.

Longleaf pine -- fairly windburned on the oldest needles, but OK otherwise, except that the late growth (top 3 inches) on the tallest one died. A side bud just below has swollen & will be the new leader, so no real problem.

Loblolly pine -- some windburn and almost all the late-growth stems (a couple inches worth) died. But it doesn't seem much fazed & lower down buds are taking over. But its growth has been set back compared to Loblolly x Pitch pine, which wasn't damaged & already has reddish candles to 8"!

Pond pine -- some windburn.

Comments (7)