SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

So I'm getting more Austins...including climbers but have some ?

jeffcat
13 years ago

I'd like to say I was "done", but we all know how that goes right? haha Well I started on my mother's garden last year and decided to go back and "finish" it. After having 3 of my 5 Pat Austin cuttings die for unknown reasons and the other 2 hanging on by a puny thread(literally) and having the need for a couple climbers(preferably English). I was interested to hear how well some of these roses perform for you and what sizes you usually get out of them...especially if you live in the Z5B area.

Well here is the first area that needs attention. All these Pat Austins were doing great, 3 overwintered the winter, then 2 additional ones inexplicably died for no good reason. 1 is "alive", but just barely...I might just dig it up and relocate it. To say there are a lot of english roses to choose from is a bit of an understatement, but here is what I was CONTEMPLATING after some thoughts on size and many different colors. None of this is CONCRETE though. There are numerous others to consider and how I arrange the colors. If you know of others that may work better let me know. Others that I have considered are Brother Cadfael, Huntington Rose, Dark Lady, Munstead Wood, Lady Emma Hamilton, Jude, Tamora, Strawberry Hill, Sister Elizabeth, Sweet Juliet, etc.

{{gwi:273226}}From 11-6-2010

Here is side view of the garden currently. Sharifa Asma is on the far right out of view of the camera for the most part. I was thinking about planting Munstead Wood to contrast Evelyn and making it an entry level rose that is shorter. Others I am considering are some of the shorter ones mentioned above, Pretty Jessica, English Garden, The Prince, etc. Now on the the OTHER side of the walkway(right off to the side of the previous picture), I was thinking about planting some form of English climber...something as or more vigourous than Graham Thomas....I'm thinking Crown Princess Margareta with the orange/apricot contrasting the pink of Queen of Sweden on the other side(IF I used QOS there). The rest of CPM will grow partially as another entry rose like Munstead Wood(if I used it), and up the corner/side of the house.

{{gwi:273227}}From 11-6-2010

This one is possibly my toughest choice.....I need a climber...PREFERABLY English, but doesn't need to be. If it's not English, I will probably go with Dublin Bay. I've always like the way yellow and red contrast themselves as climbers...then I was thinking of also weaving purple clematis with the red/yellow roses. I have Graham Thomas planted on each side of the patio....lattice is going up soon. Now on the corner I need a climber as vigorous as Graham Thomas to spread throughout the 2 Graham Thomas's. Now I'm aware of how Dublin Bay performs and have seen it in person an know it would work nicely, HOWEVER being an English addict, I was wondering if any of the RED Austin's would work? Tess of the D'Urbervilles is the first Austin red climber that comes to mind. Others are Falstaff, Tradescant, etc. Tess seems the reddest of the bunch though. Think it would be enough to help contrast the monstrous Graham Thomas yellow color?

{{gwi:273228}}From 11-6-2010

And lastly, I am growing another climber on the other side of the house....I'm torn between Spirit of Freedom and Mortimer Sackler. On one hand, I hear MS isn't very thorny and has a pleasing pink/white blend, plus SEEMS more vigorous and more floriferous, BUT I adore Spirit of Freedom's bloom type and others have said it is hardy in the cold so that was a little surprising, so I'm leaning towards SOF against my better judgement. It's for the side of a deck about 5.5 ft tall from the ground where it will be planted then will grow to the top of the rail and hopefully spread as much as possible.

Your guy's experiences, help, and knowledge of what you have seen or done before will help a TON. I kind of have some ideas, always have HMF, and the other rose info sources, but hearing first hand info on these roses and what I'm planning STILL goes a LONG way.

Comments (11)