SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahughes798_gw

I'm so glad we have this forum.....

ahughes798
16 years ago

A friend of mine who's a member of a gardening website that rhymes with Rave's Darden just wrote me, sent this and said that they are re-naming their indigenous plant forum to include non-native plants, also. So...what's the point of that forum, then? He/She asked me to post it here. glad I'm not there anymore. Anyway, read it and laugh.

"Here's the actual thread if anyone who is a member over there wants to log on to see how messed up they are-

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/812073/

Somebody suggested the forum should be named "Local Stuff,Weeds & Unmentionables".

I kid you not, here are two of the suggestions for renaming the forum to be more inclusive-

"Natives and Naturalized Plants"

"Natives and Wild Plants"

Here are some of the actual posts-

"I agree. I don't think there's a need to get technical about defining native plants" and "wildflowers" if the purpose of the forum is to encourage folks who want to grow plants that are naturally well suited to their

locales and want to have a place to discuss them..."

"You know, it's not illegal or immoral to grow plants in your yard that aren't native to your yard unless they happen to be banned in your particular state. Actually, I imagine even then it's only illegal to import them and

not to grow them....."

"I think "Native Plants and Wildflowers" sounds great."

"I found Dave's Garden through a web search to identify a plant found while hiking. I would really like to have a forum to share photos & friendly chat about wildflowers and plants (mine & yours) that have been found while

away from the garden. Is 'Indeginous Plants' the place for me or is that mainly for plants in the garden?"

"My vote would go for a more inclusive forum h "naturalized plants" or wildflowers" also being discussed... but that's a personal preference, and I can certainly go elsewhere to discuss those types of plants."

"sounds like there does need to be 2 forums though. one for the scholars and one for regular people who call a pretty flower they see on the roadside a wildflower. i know what indigenous means but not being a pedant (and i mean knowledge precisionist here) i'm never going to use that term for a search. people like me, and there are a lot of us, will just NATURALLY call any flower they see growing in a field a wildflower. i understand invasiveness

and introduced species and that sort of thing but the flowers i see on a texas roadside or in a texas pasture are just plain and simple wildflowers. to me, it just depends on who you're hoping to draw to the forum. and

just curious, but WHO are you hoping to draw....?"

"OK, here is my example of why "Indigenous" could stay regardless of how much use a forum gets. I am planting a lot of Viburnum and wanted to know which were thought to be introduced and have become "Native" and which were

here before the island was settled thus "Indigenous". Nothing is about it being PC, as the Nantucket Indians also introduced plants to Nantucket from the mainland and those would be "Native" but not "Indigenous" plants. I

realize an Island is somewhat unique, but I beg to differ that these mean the same thing, as they are two quiet distinct words with very different meanings.

Because "Indigenous" is not commonly used does not mean it should be dismissed and lumped into the word "Native". And if a plant was used by an early indigenous person (an American Indian), but it was introduced by one of them to their land from another place, than that plant may be known

now as "Native" plant introduced by an "Indigenous Person" but it is still not actually "Indigenous" but a "Native" plant. Splitting hairs, because "Native is now accepted as any plant known in an area for a long time. And I actually don't care about the name used for the forum. I just hate to see our language diminished and become less precise. I find it fascinating to go to a new place and learn which plants have been growing there on there own

and not introduced by humans. Now pulling out my hair. To funny."

Comments (35)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yeah, it just reinforces to me why I never saw the need to become a member there. It is not my intention to be pedantic, I just happen to like to have a forum that is specifically for native plants ... that is the plants that are indigenous to North America. Certainly creating a separate forum (on that site) for "wildflowers" - a forum that was for discussing flowers that just pop up wherever - might help folks that don't care to discriminate about place of origin.

Here in parts of the Southeast that are in the midst of a drought, we have seen a LOT of recent interest in new folks learning about native plants.

I agree, ahughes, I am glad to have THIS place! I have never found another forum as good for this topic.

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

At least here at GW there is a sentence or two describing what consitutes each forum. If people want to include non-natives, they can visit woodland, shade, and even meadow and prairies forums as these include both natives and aliens.Our area has just established a "committee" to encourage the use of natives and supposedly from here on out they will not plant anything on the NC invasive list in public parks and areas. AND, they say they will begin work on eliminating extremely invasive plants from those areas. Of course, they are asking for volunteers because they have so much work ahead of them. The city arboretum is covered with English ivy, not to mention the privet, nandinas, etc. Of course, the county extension agent recently wrote an article for the area newspaper, describing deer-proof plants, and elaeagnus was included. Yuck.

• Related Discussions

I'm glad I found this forum!

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks Teresa! I just checked out the Indy Hosta Society website about the convention. Of course that happens to be the weekend I have to head up to South Bend for my brother's wedding. But according to the website it looks like its open to the public from 1 to 11pm on Wednesday June 20th. Just might have to drag my husband up there after work. We do have our 2nd anniversary coming up the following Monday -- there we go an easy anniversary present for him to get me, more hostas. And thereby inching closer to Ken's prediction of 30 by the end of the summer. LOL!
    ...See More

I am so glad we have such a trusting relationship!

Q

Comments (1)
    Sounds like a wonderful experience! So happy for you and I'm sure your DH is by your side guiding the process for you. :)
    ...See More

i'm so glad to be back,,,

Q

Comments (3)
    I've been wondering where you went Payd6--that explains why you weren't on here or on GJ either. Don't you hate it when you can't get on the Net? Been there, done that! Hey, since you weren't spending any time on the computer, did you get to work on any projects? Hope so, would love to see pics as always! Welcome back. Luvs
    ...See More

I'm so glad I found this forum...

Q

Comments (1)
    mv2006, I was glad to find this site too. It has helped me to vent and find advise/opinions. I just want to warn you that the behaviors your experiencing may continue for some time. I have been married to my DH for 2 yrs and together for 6 years. DH and his ex dislike/hate each other. DH's 2 children (my stepkids) who are now adults, but lived with us until the last couple years made our life difficult. The ex influenced the SKs I feel because of her hate for DH. How I know this is that everytime the SKs spent time with biomom (ex) or talked with her a new problem for DH and I was started by the SKs. It was a draining, stressful, and upsetting situation to live in. However, I knew that the SKs would soon be moving out and becoming adults. I hung in there but remember crying and being sad many many days. I want to warn you that as long as the ex dislikes you future husband there will be turmoil in your life. Some ex wives if unhappy with themselves and their life can cause harm and turmoil to others. It appears to me they do not want their ex happy and will do anything to cause them pain. I also see some jealousy, they don't want their bio children to like you and can cause bad things to happen so the chidren will not get too close to you. The dynamics are crazy in a step family situation. I have heard of a few happy step family situation, however the majority are stressful and trying. If I had known what I know now I would have waited to marry my DH when the children had grown and been on their own. Just sharing my experience. Maybe your situation will change sooner that mine did. Best of luck
    ...See More
  • terrene
    16 years ago

I think it's kind of ridiculous to lump native plants and naturalized plants together on a forum that was intended to discuss indigenous plants. Many non-natives have naturalized and may appear to be native, but they've naturalized becasue they're invasive and crowding out native plants. Over at Dave's, how do they avoid debates between native plant enthusiasts and people who think Queen Anne's lace is a pretty wildflower?

I'm glad this forum is "Native Plants" period. I can see making reference to non-native or invasive plants here, but only in the context of how they are affecting the habitat of native plants.

It would be interesting to have an "Invasive Plants" forum, too, where people could discuss invasive plants, IDs, their management, etc. For me, it was the process of learning about and battling invasive plants that put my interest in natives plants into sharp focus!!

I am not a purist and grow many well-behaved non-native plants, particularly non-native annuals for their beauty and wildlife value. But when I started to identify what was growing in my yard and neighborhood I was distressed to realize that at least 8 of the worst woody invasives in the northeast US were growing here.

In my yard, Acer platanoides (Norway maple), Celastrus orbiculatus (Oriental bittersweet), and Frangula alnus (Glossy Buckthorn) were particularly bad. I've spent many hours eradicating these and others, and $2000 in tree work removing Norway maples so far. Good riddance, and planning to plant lots of natives in their place. :)

• ahughes798
    Original Author
    16 years ago

People are not allowed to debate at Rave's Darden. It's not nice. Someone's belief system or feelings might get hurt, after all, or, Jah forbid...start to think about and be responsible for what they're planting, and think about how what they plant might affect what goes on outside their property lines.

We can't be having people thinking about all that complicated stuff, now can we?

• terrene
    16 years ago

I like to browse through Dave's Plant Files where there are some nice photos and interesting comments on the plants. The Plant Files database doesn't list the native range of the plants though, so it lacks some important information for me to know about a plant. Maybe the members aren't interested in knowing that??

Sometimes I have to dig a little to find out what the native range of a plant is, or figure out what species make up a hybrid. Even the USDA database just says N for Native or I for Introduced.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Even the USDA database just says N for Native or I for Introduced.

Look at the distribution maps to see the ranges. For natives, my understanding is that those are the indigenous locations. Some states are better than others in populating that map, of course.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Someone on another thread just alerted me to a hotlink toggle underneath the left side of the distribution map - it says "view native status". I guess that will truly show you the indigenous areas.

As before, you can try then clicking on the state itself to see a county by county distribution.

• terrene
    16 years ago

Thanks esh_ga - I love the USDA database, and it is excellent for showing the origin of native plants. But do you know if the website indicates where a plant that is not native is introduced from? Usually have to poke around the web to find the origin.

Guess you could say I am a native plant enthusiast (so far there are winter-sown containers for 31 species of native plants out there in the snow!). But even for the non-natives, it's interesting to know what country they are from.

• terryr
    16 years ago

It's a lack of respect shown those of us who know the difference between a wildflower and a native plant. For me, who chooses to use native plants, it doesn't have anything to do with politics, but according to them it does.

It's also mentioned that the forum was wildflowers before it became indigenous. Also mentioned was that Indigenous didn't come up in searches on google. Google does however, bring up GardenWeb. I guess competition isn't good.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

terry, I think you've hit on the essence of it ... for the people to whom it matters, the difference between native and naturalized should not be trivialized.

terrene, I don't think the USDA site provides information on where something originated. I usually just google the scientific name of the plant plus the word "native" and you can usually find out. Good luck with your winter sowing!

• gonativegal
    16 years ago

Dear ahughes,

Yes - agree with you about DG. Some narrow mindedness prevails but there were good folks there too.

I was a former member but no more. Almost everything, including the much beloved cottage forum is now pay! That's what got my goat.

• terryr
    16 years ago

They don't get it, they never will get it, they aren't interested in getting it. So it will remain trivialized. I won't be surprised if the Invasive forum goes away.

• ahughes798
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's it exactly, Terryr. They absolutely do NOT want to get it. I call it the flat earth society.

To me, it's a fairly useless place.

Yes, there are some good people over there. Emphasis on some.

• stoloniferous
    16 years ago

Hi everyone. Im new here, so forgive me if IÂm asking a dumb question. But over in the native seeds exchange forum, IÂve spotted one person asking for non-native seeds, and another person is offering to supply them. Was I out of line to point out that the plant in question isnÂt native? Is there a moderator around to delete or move that sort of request, and if so, how would I notify them?

Thanks. . .

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

I do that occasionally too. Some people just don't know (and sometimes they are talking about 'naturalized' plants which some people think can be called native after a while). So I try to treat it as a point of education at first.

We don't really have active moderation on the GW forums unless the item is truly offensive.

Welcome, stoloniferous ... you sound like you'll make a fine addition to our 'colony'! :)

• stoloniferous
    16 years ago

Thank you esh, thats some good advice, and Im really loving this place!

• ahughes798
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If anyone wants to trade seeds...there's still time to wintersow. Check my list.

• rosa_alba
    16 years ago

Can someone tell me how to find the USDA plant distribution map? I'm on the "plants.usda.gov" page, but can't find a link to the map itself even on the site map.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

You have to look up a plant first and then the map is further down on the page. You should see a map of the US with states colored if the plant is found there. If the state has provided county by county distribution, you should be able to click on the state. Not all states provide it for each plant.

• rosa_alba
    16 years ago

Ah! Thanks, Esh Ga! I was looking for the wrong thing--hoping they'd have a general distro of plants for a particular county rather than by individual plant. Now that I think about it, it'd be a darned crowded map. D'oh! Thanks again.

• amelanchier
    16 years ago

Regarding sites for information on native plants - while the USDA site is very handy, particularly for determining whether something lives in your county, my launchpad is the www.wildflower.org site. Their plant profiles are great, with pictures, descriptions of native habitats (very important, as planting something native to your area but in the wrong habitat may not work, & doesn't re-create an environment that occurs naturally), & propagation details.

For exotics, my default option is actually Wikipedia. They'll usually at least give where the plant originated and a basic description, although their coverage of species is far from complete.

• terryr
    16 years ago

Something I never understood about the Lady Bird site, is where do I find what plants are native to IL? I always seem to find plants native to TX. Am I looking wrong?

• amelanchier
    16 years ago

The Combination Search feature works great for me:

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/index.php

I just select my state (New York) from the drop-down menu and add other features I'm interested in. They also have "recommended species" lists for each state, but that's less helpful, both because it tends to be a short list, and because habitats vary so widely within a state.

• terryr
    16 years ago

Oh for pete's sake!! Thank you for pointing that out. I honestly never saw that drop down for states. Man do I feel stupid ☺

• rosa_alba
    16 years ago

Ooh! Nice site, Amelanchier!

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

I am so glad I am not a member there, anymore.

Too much censorship, in my opinion.

Though I have to give Dave credit for refunding my membership fee. He wasn't obligated to, but when I politely asked and explained that I no longer wanted to be member. He refunded my fee, no questions asked.

• terryr
    16 years ago

joe! I haven't seen you around in a long time. Don't sell yourself short, you weren't merely a member, you were a subscriber. Big difference.

BTW, I sent you an e-mail at the e-mail address I had before. Be sure to check for it.

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

Hi Terry! I've been around, just lurking mainly. I didn't see your email, I'll have to go check my inbox more carefully.

I do wish that this forum was more active. Its pretty slow.

I bought a native butterfly garden seed mix from Prairie Nursery to plant in my side yard. And just my luck, the darn mice chewed a whole in the box and ate most of the seed, before I had a chance to plant it. And you know, that quality native seed isn't cheap. I think I paid around $70 for that seed. I should reorder...now that spring is looming.

• terryr
    16 years ago

Hey joe, just sent the e-mail yesterday. Let me know if you get it or not. I can always resend it.

I wish most the forums that used to be hopping would resume to that. It's slow here, but slow at the other site too.

Did you ever make it to Possibility Place last year? I've already pre-ordered from them for this spring. I had an e-mail from Prairie Nursery that there's still time to direct sow a lot of the native seed outdoors yet. Sorry about the mice, but yes! Reorder! If you're doing that same thing you did last year, which I can't remember the name of, let me know. We can hook up again.

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

I did get to PP last year. I ordered quite a bit. I got several New Jersey tea shrubs and a witch hazel... along with a couple flats of perennials.

• terryr
    16 years ago

Sounds like you did good!

• terrene
    16 years ago

Ahughes (or anybody else), if you're interested in a trade or SASBE, check out my exchange list...

Esh-ga, thanks for the good wishes on the winter-sowing. So far done 65 containers, including 38 native species and several cultivars of native species. Its been fun, and I can't wait to see how well things germinate and grow! Winter-sowing affords the opportunity to grow lots of natives that would be difficult or impossible to get at nurseries, or exorbitantly expensive to buy as plants.

I bought lots of native seeds (and a few non-native) this winter and offered extras on the Seed Exchange forum. There was a lot of interest in native seeds, which was nice. But I was dismayed to see people trading invasive species like Euonymous alatus (burning bush) or Ailanthus altissima (tree of heaven). One poster even explained on her exchange page how she grows Oriental bittersweet and keeps it contained on a trellis so it's okay! Yeah...only if she strips off every berry...if she saw how it's strangling native trees around here, she might change her mind!

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

Terry, I didn't get your email.

My address is culversroot@yahoo.com

• terryr
    16 years ago

O.k. joe, I resent it (10:44pm Mon. night) and just to be sure, I looked at the address I had in my book for you. It's the same one as above. So I don't know what happened, but hopefully you get this one...let me know if you don't....

• furbisher
    15 years ago

There's a thread there now about propagating dame's rocket. The admins, who in the past said they would "be happy to move... to the correct forum" any threads promoting exotics or invasives, now don't see any problem with a thread about propagating invasive plants in the "native plants and wild plants" forum.

They really just don't get it.

Sponsored