SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelg_gw

I'm so glad

michaelg
13 years ago

I'm so glad I've moved away from hybrid teas and floribundas to mostly shrub roses, climbers, and old roses. My garden looks ten times better in the spring flush, with mounds and walls of roses not just at the tops of plants, but spilling down to the ground, and with a pleasing variety of heights. I like the piles of petals on the ground. I like smelling the rose fragrance from 50 feet outside of the garden.

At least before our climate warmed, I had to prune my modern bush roses back almost to the ground every spring. Then I couldn't afford to cut roses from the spring flush because the poor things couldn't afford to lose their canes and leaves. The garden didn't look like much before August, when the plants would have regrown to good size. And if I didn't keep everything well watered and sprayed all summer, it never would look like much.

I'll keep 6 or 8 mostly fragrant hybrid teas, partly because people like to be given them; also, owing to the pruning setback, they tend to bloom later than the hardy roses and so fill a gap.

But this is a pitch for planting roses that are adapted to your climate, whatever that is. Roses that are cane-hardy in your climate will just give you a lot more than roses that are not, and be easier to care for too. If you have no experience with shrub roses, it's important to be patient and give them a few years to mature. Garden center HTs will be pretty much what they can be even in the first season, but shrub roses that at first seem intolerably floppy, sprawly, and unsuitable for cutting need time to grow into good plants, and the gardener needs time to learn how to deal with them.

Comments (19)