SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamark

Well, you've done it....

adamark
14 years ago

you've created a WS monster. I'm talking about myself. My family is convinced that I'm completely crazy. Anyway, couple weeks ago, I decided to start veggies and flowers indoors. I bought lights, potting soil, those "Jiffy" trays, seeds, etc. Last Saturday, I was ready. Except, I didn't know much what to do, so I started Googling and I found - WS! Immediately I went to our recycle bins, not much in one week... So, I decided to hunt for containers. In Home Depot I found plastic shoe boxes ($.99) and I bought 20. At home, I had a bunch of plastic cups (left over from Christmas parties) and I started sowing, and sowing and sowing... Next day, I've sent my husband to HD for another 20 containers (that was the time, they decided about state of my mind). The cups fit nicely into those containers - 6 cups and one smaller from yogurt (hope this will work). By the end of my first week, I filled about 30 containers (X7 cups) and a few bottles, one milk jag, and a few plastic food containers. BTW, that Saturday, I asked my husbend to order Chineese (I knew, it will come in nice containers).

All the week I couldn't wait for the weekend to sow again. This weekend I've finished shoe boxes, filled 6 lasagna boxes (from Walmart 2 for $3.00) and started to fill a huge container with cups. I've bought 5 under bed containers. It will fit about 40 caps in one.

So, you see, you've created a monster and my family is right. I'm so sorry, the weekend is gone and I have to wait again for the next weekend. Now, you wonder, what did I put into those cups and what I'll do if I'm successful and those seeds will sprout... Well, I'm wondering to.

First, what I've sowed? This is the problem (I think). I didn't read everything very carefuly, or just got overexcited (most probably) and I've sowed annuals (merigols, cosmos, etc)last week and some herbs and some veggies (I'm in the west Chicago subs, zone ?5). After, I've done this, I've read - perenials, hardy annuals, etc... But there is a good site of this, I had an excuse to run to stores to get some more seeds, this time perenials. Well, once I was there, I've got some annuals as well. I'm so glad, that those cheap once (see previous treds) work because I've bought a bunch.

Next question, where I'll plant all these seedlings. Well, I'll face this problem when it will come. We've moved into a new house that we've build and there is plenty of space (so far mostly covered with grass...) but right now I have a very nice veggie garden to be filled.

Sorry for this very long post. But, after reading this site for a couple of weeks, I feel you guys are great. I'm already feeling that I'm among friends (or at least equally insained ones - hope no one is offended). Anyway, I'm so glad, I've found you.

One more question, am I going to be able to plant those seedlings directly to the ground? This is my hope, that's way I'm using those cups.

Also, in my zone, when is the main time to plant? I think, I will need to take some days off...

Please excuse my spelling, grammar, etc. English is my second languge... and I don't see here any spell check.

Happy sowing....

Comments (17)

Sponsored