SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steveberry

I'm planting a butterfly hedge and I'm looking for some help

steveberry
15 years ago

Hi all,

So, my neighbor just erected a 2 story (15-18' or so tall, or approx. three fences tall) garage 10' from my fence, and thus I'm now looking into planting a new butterfly friendly hedge at the back of my property to cover it. I have a list of potential plants and am looking for some input from those who might have grown them already, as well as any other ideas people might have. I live in the SF Bay Area.

My current ideas--

prunus lyonii or illicifolia- catalina or hollyleaf cherry (as long as my wife isn't allergic to them, we're looking into that currently)

ceanothus ray hartman

ceanothus arboreus

rhamnus californica

myrica californica- pacific wax myrtle

salix lasiolepsis- arroyo willow

I already have some young, existing Fremont Poplars that I'm trying to integrate this into. Obviously, most of these choices are evergreen, and that's good as I see this area pretty much year round. Re: the willow, I was potentially thinking about planting a couple along the fence to get some fast cover, and then planting something else in front of them to slowly grow in (like these evergreens). As for space, I probably have an area 12-15' deep and 30' wide or so-- so space isn't really an issue.

So, my questions are-- how big do these things really get? Are they really going to get 15-20' tall? How long should that take?? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? And finally, what do you think of them as butterfly plants, and plants in general?

These are all things I've read a great deal about, but I don't have any experience with them in the ground. Before I spend 1-200$ minimum, I want to know what I'm getting in to.

Thanks!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting