SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tophers

Considering Pin Oak

tophers
13 years ago

I am considering planting a Pin Oak in my back yard and have a couple of options.

My neighbor across the street has 2 large Pin Oaks (about 50' tall) and 1 smaller one (about 30' tall, but not fully filled in yet). Her house was built 22 yrs ago and she had a different tree out front first, but after a few years, it died. A Pin Oak seedling started up there and she left it...it is now the 50' one in her front yard...about 18 years old. Her 30' one was about 6-8' tall when we moved in 6 years ago (also started as a seedling, which she left). Their neighbor behind them has a 60' one, as well. Pin Oaks seem to do well around here and while there are a few around here, it doesn't seem to be overplanted here.

My neighbor has some seedlings that are about 1-2' tall in parts of her garden and is willing to give them to me if I want. Or, I can go to the nursery and get one that is about 10' tall or so, but I haven't looked at the roots to see if they are pot-bound. I've read that Pin Oaks transplant well, but I wonder if a seedling would catch up in a few years to the nursery-bought one...perhaps even do better.

I've lost several trees to Verticillium Wilt (confirmed) and most things I've read say that Pin Oaks are resistant, but a couple references said they were susceptible.

BTW, the space is approx. 45' from house to back fence, and the tree would go a little over 1/2 way in between...closer to the back fence. Side-to-side space is much larger. No over head wires, no sewer lines nearby, but sprinkler system pipes (PVC) go here and there in the area. The area occasionally floods 1-2" deep for about and hour or so after heavy rains in the winter...no flooding with our regular drizzle/light rains the rest of the fall/winter/spring. Full sun.

So would Pin Oak be a good choice? If so, should I try one of the seedlings or one from the nursery?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!