SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oath5

What's Impressed You This Year So Far?

oath5
14 years ago

Hi gang, its July, so many of the rose peak season is gone, fall flush isn't quite here yet so I was wondering if we could have wonderful riveting discussion on what surprised and or impressed you this year in terms of blooms, health, etc.

I have a few that are rather wonderful, I was really impressed by Henri Martin and Buff Beauty this year. The latter, just a band from last year, got chomped by some rabbits when it was throwing up some great new basal and it STILL regrew another and bloomed for me. Beautiful flower, and great fragrance on that one, I finally get what people are saying about a tea-like scent. Makes me want to try Clytemnestra. Henri Martin has very few detrimental qualities, very old fashioned and neat shape, I have mine growing around a baby fig, I cant wait until the fig gets big enough where they can just lump around it.

Speaking of hybrid musks though, I must say that although its not old, it technically is a first generation hybrid musk like so many other of the old greats, that the Mutabilis x Trier offspring Plaisanterie is REALLY nice, very vigorous even in less than ideal soil, and so far has been extremely healthy here, and displays all the traits of Mutabilis with the color changing blossoms, but with more sturdy Trier influence. I cant wait to see this grow up, I have a feeling its going to be a monster.

Also, while it not particularly old, the Hybrid Spinosissima Hazeldean is surprisingly healthy, mine has not defoliated or had major problems with blackspot. Pretty red basals too. Really impressive considering it has foetida as a grandparent, but then again this summer has been weird so I'm still crossing my fingers.

Whats really wowed you this year?

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery