SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Realistic time frame for HUGE leaf pile to break down?

squirrellypete
16 years ago

Realistically how long might a very large pile of unshredded leaves take to break down if urine is added to it on a daily basis? I'm looking at about 15 cubic yards of fall leaves (this volume isn't shredded but it has been compacted somewhat). Would it be beneficial or quicker to cover this in plastic and if so should it be clear or black?

Background:

I have an area along the side of a woodland path I want to turn into a slightly elevated raised bed to plant in. It has OK soil there already but it's large and I thought adding some bulk compost in the form of leaf mold and then tilling that in would be a way to cheaply raise it and provide a good well-drained medium to plant in. I cannot afford to buy topsoil or finished compost right now to do the job. It will gradually slope upward so that at its highest point the finished bed will be 12-18" higher than the woodland path that borders it. So far I have pounded temporary stakes all around it and ringed the entire thing in chicken wire 3 feet high to form the giant leaf compost bin. We have lots of wooded acreage so I am dumping LOADS of unshredded leaves in this thing every day with the intention of filling it to the brim (3 feet). It is a wedge-shaped area approximately 26 feet long and about 10 feet across at its widest end.

Might I be able to till this stuff in by Spring or in your experience am I looking at next fall or the following spring?

Thanks for any advice. Sincerely, Danielle

Comments (15)