SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie_que12

Theres a huge sign on the lawn

susie_que
15 years ago

We signed the paperwork on Thurs morning...the sign was planted sometime this morning...its official...the house is for sale.

Being a Libra, I have very mixed emotions about this.

When we bought this house we were newlyweds, went to closing and went into labor that night.

Its the only place my kids have ever lived and truth be told I fully expected to live here until the mortgage was paid off and we were ready to retire to a beach or lake house.

The decline of the neighborhood is simply too much to bear.

The crime, the gangs, the drugs...Its almost embarrassing to admit where I live when asked.

Most of the folks who were here when we moved in, have moved away. We decided we were not going to move. We did not have the money to move and I really liked the fact that the area was diverse. I grew up in a diverse family...my family was a foster family so I was exposed to many cultures and felt comfortable with all people.

When new families moved in I always welcomed them. I felt is was part on my job as a block captain to reach out.

After all I loved my home and my community so why wouldn't everyone else want to be part of it.

But what I failed to see was a family that bought these homes were generally not the ones living there. Aunts, uncles, cousins, friends would move into these homes and take over.

I soon realized I had no idea who my neighbors were.

I then came to learn that many of the original nieghbors got involved in the section 8 housing program. Our section 8 program is a mess.

I recall one block clean up day and hardly anyone came out to clean. It was so frustrating to want to keep the block clean only to be laughed at and ridiculed. But I stayed out until the whole block was clean.

It was trashed the next day.

I stepped down as block captain the following monday.

I don't think poeple actually like to live in this type of ghetto envirionment but perhaps its how they feel comfortable.

Whatever??

I have stayed for as long as I could but now I simply do not feel safe. I do not feel safe for myself and I do not feel safe for my children.

I cannot leave my home without someone either calling me a racial slur or trying to hit me up for cash "My son needs medicine or my baby needs milk". It really breaks my heart.

No one cleans up. I hear gunfire on a weekly basis. My truck has been vandlized and my property trashed.

On night in early summer, I was sitting at my kitchen table when the dogs were acting up by the front door, I open the front door to find 4 young teens lounging on my front porch laughing having a good time. I was like "AH, this is private property, you all need to move along". One young biatch snapped at me that I had better get used to it cuz it was summertime.

HUH??

On the way off my property someone dropped a joint. LOL!!

These kids were maybe 12-13!!

But on the other hand I am really excited about moving and starting over.

The prospect of trying to find everything on my wish list is very thrilling to me!!

The idea of applying for a mortgage again is frightning.

So its a bitter sweet time for me.

I have my families full support as they wanted me out of here years ago.

On another note...how in the world am I supposed to sell this place??

Will anyone even want to look at my place??

I have done SO much work on it in the past few years to make it the wonderful home it is but will anyone want to venture in to take a look??

Once inside I know they will be bowled over with all the upgrades.

So I am scared, nervous, anxious and excited.

If anyone has ANY advice on what I can do to make the place more appealing, other than paying all the druggies to stay inside while I show the house LOL, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Cheers!

Susie

Comments (51)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert