SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
running_free

Realistic expectations @ 2 fan divisions?

running_free
14 years ago

Just curious as this is pretty new to me, finally going to break down and go with some mail-order cultivars, but how many seasons do you typically expect to wait for a really good show from 2 fan divisions?

Granted I realize the specific cultivar has some role, as do proper conditions but my own experience dividing established clumps into 2-3 fan divisions generally ended up with nice showy flowers at around three seasons.

From a financial standpoint, as well as a hybridizers/growers standpoint, I can see the benefit of 2 fan divisions. The reason I ask though is one of the vendor's sites I hit recently sung the praises of 2 fan divisions so high the average joe might be inclined to divide every year...Even my local nursery sends me "out back" to the landscape stock knowing that I'm willing to pay a little more for "instant gratification" plants (the only downside is variety is limited to what they haven't used themselves and somewhat hum-drum cultivars compared to what's actually available).

For the most part the daylilies I'm considering don't need to provide instant gratification, I can wait them out as I simply admire them and those that please me most will eventually gain a prominant place in my landscape. I'll be adding new beds this year and as I don't want them all to contain naked daylilies I'm considering going with 4 and maybe 6 fans of the less expensive varieties I'm interested in (for just a little more visual appeal a little bit faster).

Sorry if the question is a little redundant, I'm guessing 3 seasons is a likely solid guess for a really good show. Just curious. Thoughts, opinions, experiences most welcome!

~Wes

Comments (15)