SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charon70

Fish Odor in Home for 2 days!!! Do I have the right size hood?

charon70
8 years ago

Last year my DH and I removed a OTR microwave and installed a Modern Aire 600 CFM canopy style hood that is 24 inches deep. We wanted better ventilation to exhaust out smoke and odors from cooking. Based on the help from several of you on this site, I calculated 600 CFM is the correct size based on the BTU output of the burners.

This week I cooked blackened mahi-mahi in a cast iron skillet. While cooking the mahi-mahi, I ran the hood at full speed even though I thought it may be overkill because I was using only one burner. I wanted to make sure all smoke and odors were exhausted out. The smoke generated from cooking the fish was exhausted out of the hood as I expected; however, I still had a fish smell throughout my home. The smell lingered for two days. This is causing me to question whether I purchased the right size hood.

1. Do I have an unreasonable expectation of the hoods performance?
  2. Should I still expect cooking odors throughout the home when cooking items like blackened fish or using a Wok?
  3. Should I have purchased a higher cfm hood?
  4. If I need to increase the CFM, how easy is it to do? Is it very expensive to increase the hood size?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (20)