SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stonesriver_gw

What Did You Learn?

stonesriver
12 years ago

I grew AVs quite happily for 20+ years before I knew about AV clubs. (Remember, I predate the Internet. LOL)

I'm telling you what I learned in hopes you'll tell the rest of us to give some assurance to newbies that we weren't always this smart. :-) Along with these forums, joining a local club and the AVSA (avsa.org) are great tools to learning about growing beautiful African Violets.

I learned:

1. About grooming. I mean REAL grooming; not just removing a leaf or two. Edward Scissorhands came to mind the first time a member volunteered to groom an AV I thought was just fine. Not! I think it wound up with a three rows, it's neck scraped and half its rootball removed. Which leads me to...

2. Remove the lower 1/3 to 1/2 of a rootball when repotting. Which leads me to....

3. DO NOT OVERPOT!!! EVER, NEVER, EVER, NEVER! Putting an AV in a 10" pot does not a 60" AV make.

4. 4" or 5" pots are as large as you want to go (except for trailers which are another matter altogether).

5. African Violets do not have to have a neck and yes, it's possible to take them back to their original form.

6. There are such a thing as "baby leaves" (the hardest thing for me to recognize and sometimes I still don't) and they are not a good thing....

7. ....Neither are "eye pokers."

8. You can start leaves in plastic baggies (the zippable kind) with a soilless mix and hang them in a sheltered window to save shelf space. Of course eventually they will take up self-same shelf space you thought you were saving when you hung them in the window.

9. You don't have to put down EVERY leaf that breaks.

1. All white leaves on a varigate might be beautiful but can be deadly. Poor Champagne Pink. :-(

2. African Violets come in the trailing variety! "Not so sure that was a good thing to learn," says Linda who has at least 60 of them.

Now, please remember I learned all this after 20 years of blissful ignorance. Oh, BTW, that Edward Scissorhanded AV? In less than three months the club declared it show-worthy!

Linda

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting