SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudlark_gw

I know what you did last summer..........

19 years ago

.........but my question is "What will you do differently next summer?"

While its still a not too distant memory, what did you learn from the season just past that will make you garden differently.

I will probably prune the more vigourous tomato vines next year, just to make them a bit more managable. I will grow more varieties for eating fresh off the vines as they were very popular with family and friends. This year I only grew a couple of varieites of these and a couple of varieties for cooking, as well as a couple of cherries. Top of my list for next year so far are Kellogs Breakfast & Mother Russia, I'll try not too get carried away! Of the cooking ones I will probably grow Palmwood again because it was prolific with a good flesh:seed ratio, I will try one other that I've yet to choose. The plan is to take the best one from each year and try another newie each year until I find the perfect cooking tomato!

Having had quite a few problems with mildew on the curcubits etc (perhaps exaccerbated by living in a wine growing region with rampant mildew problems), I recognised the importance of airflow through the garden. In the long term I hope to shift my veggie patch and whilst I had thought about sunlight, I had given little thought to airflow, so this was a useful lesson for me that has made me rethink my desire for a walled kitchen garden. Next summer perhaps I will try spacing things differently and attempting early detection and intervention by spraying with milk or another organic option.

This summer I installed a subsurface irrigation system which I have been very happy with, this will need a bit of fine tuning next year and I hope I will have zones planned based on the water needs of the crop, trying to save water where I can. The installation took so long, that I was really late getting seedlings in the ground and it was all a bit haphazard. It also meant that I didn't have a cover crop of legumes in, hopefully I will get more organic matter into the soil before planting out next time.

I now have many cages in all shapes and sizes to keep the pesky rabbits at bay, and have discovered that this also results in less, snail, slug and insect damage (kinda obvious, really!), worth the effort if you have limited space like me, its depressing to loose so much of your crop to the critters, who lets face it, are alien to concepts of sharing...taking a nibble out of every leaf or a peck in every piece of fruit....no manners!

Anyhow, thats my plans for now. I hope to hear some of yours.

Cheers, mudlark

Comments (23)