SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xepo

I'm a big dummy -- Excessive Liming

xepo
13 years ago

I'm doing a square foot garden for the first time this year. Everything was going well, except for some blossom-end rot on my zucchini plant -- I had just started harvesting from it, pulled off two fruits, and had to throw out 3 others due to BER.

So, being a computer geek, I googled, found out what blossom end rot was, and, being an overconfident computer geek, figured I'd just pick up some fast acting lime and add it into my soil without testing. Yeah, I know, dumb. Two days later, my zucchini is all but dead -- What were big green pretty leaves are now rolled up and yellowing. A lot of the plant is lying down -- I can get pictures tomorrow if it'd help.

Went and bought a pH testing kit along with a pH meter and found out my soil is now very very alkaline. As in, the kit was the darkest green it gets. 8.0+. And the meter agrees. I've tried adding some soil acidifier (Sulfur), but, as far as I can tell, that's slow acting.

Is there anything I can do to save my zucchini? I've talked to it and promised it that I'd never do any soil amendments without testing first, but it doesn't seem to care for my promises. =/

If it's any help:

pennington fast acting lime:

Total Calcium -- 38%

Calcium Carbonate -- 95.50%

Prilled from Calcitic Lime stone

espoma soil acidifier:

Sulfur -- 30% (18% free, 12% combined)

Derived from elemental sulfur and gypsum

Thanks, you all!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group