SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Fertilizing for chemistry dummies

zaphod42
13 years ago

Normally, when describing my abilities and aptitude I use words and phrases such as 'right-brained' and 'artsy.' Reading the labels on fertilizers tends give me flashbacks to high school chemistry and my palms sweat and my mind goes blank.

This is my first spring where I'll have to go out and fertilize established roses and I went online and found instructions for mixing organic fertilizers exactly.

Instructions are:

1. First Feeding (Spring)

When spring arrives, your roses need fertilizer for their first feeding. Roses require quit a lot of nutrients to maintain healthy growth and flowering. Fertilizers should be placed around the outside of the plant, one to two feet away. Carefully pull back any mulch and place the fertilizers on the list into the first inch of the soil surface. Take care not to damage the tender roots that maybe at the surface of the soil.

Spring feeding each plant:

1. 1/4 c. Epsom salts

2. 1/2 c. bone meal

3. 1 or 2 c. granular organic fertilizer

4. 1/2 c. alfalfa meal

5. 1-3 shovels of compost. Put the compost on top of the others. Compost serves as a mulch, which helps maintain moisture, stops weeds and keeps the temperature of the soil from getting to hot.

Is this a good guideline? The recommended fertilizer was to be a 5-5-5. The one I bought was a 5-7-2 (it had the most 'real' ingredients of all the organic offerings). Should I change up my recipe to make up for the slightly higher amount of phosphorus and lower potassium number?

Comments (6)