SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosyhips

Calling all soil chemistry gurus!

RosyHips
4 years ago

I honestly thought I could cruise through gardening with a remedial understanding of NPK and pH. Oh how naive. My floundering young persimmon tree has forced me back into high school chem and the periodic table (FYI I made a C in that class). I have Mg, Ca, B, Zn, Mn, Fe and Cu problems, not to mention a very high pH (we have alkaline water). I'm attaching my lab tested results. They are abysmal and a comment on another site even questioned their validity. My 2 year old persimmon has chlorosis. We've had a long wet winter and spring here in SoCal (zone 10b). I have not fertilized this tree since planting in ground, and used plain bagged soil to fill the 4x4 raised box dedicated to the tree (dug 3' down, and combined it with the native sandy soil). I've sprayed it twice in the last 2 weeks with iron chelate and it seems to help a bit. I was told sulfer or copper sulfate for the soil but nothing specific beyond that. Should I include other elements to the spray to keep it healthy immediately, and what do I do to address it long term? Feeling pretty lost here!

Comments (7)