SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aztreeguy

Bearss Lime Tree Leaves Looking a Little Dry

AzTreeGuy
11 years ago

This is my first post on GardenWeb. This site looks to be a good community of people and I will definitely be around for a while. I would like to make a big formal introduction but I don't want to get off subject here in this topic... so here it goes.

So, probably about 8 weeks ago I bought this grafted Bearss Lime tree from my local Lowes. It seems to be doing decent right now but I had some questions about it.

(BTW, I am in southern Az. About an hr west of Phoenix.)

The biggest question I have is, Why are some of the leaves on my tree kind of shriveled up while others looks excellent, in my opinion?

Am I watering it to much or not enough? Or what could it be? Right now I'm giving it probably about a gallon of water every 2 days, maybe a gallon and a half.

Recently I went on a trip and was gone for 3 weeks. I hooked up my lime tree to to a watering system that would water the tree every 4 days. Probably with about 6 gallons of water (way more the container could handle, the excess water would just overflow)

At that time the tree was in the full Arizona sun from about 11am to 5pm. It was in shade for the other hours.

While I was gone it rained a few times. When I got back to Az the tree was still nice and green but it seemed like it had less small branches of leaves on it. I wasn't to concerned because it still had a good bit and was still green. When I got back the pot/container soil was saturated with water, I guess from the rain and watering system. I drug the tree out into the direct sun and let it sit there for 3 or 4 days until the soil looked like it was finally drying up.

After that I started to examine the tree, noticing that some of the leaves were crinkled and crumbled up and kind of dry. Others still looked perfect. Some of the tips of leaves were a little brown/dry/dead. (I read that is from to much salts in the soil??? I dont know though). I also noticed that a couple of pieces of the bark were stripped/scratched off (like from an animal or something).

Anyways, So now I'm trying to take care of my tree a little bit better. I moved it to a fully shaded screen room I have in front of my home a couple of days ago. The crinkled leaves look to be doing a slight bit better then they were a week ago but I can't be 100% on that.

None of the leaves are dropping and they seem to attached pretty strong... I gave a few of them a slight tug.

Anyways, Any information you may have for me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read about my concerns.

Comments (10)