SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Youngsters and 'big guys', the story so far.....

Having been interested in growing DR's from seed for five years or so this post shows the results at present. I have obviously still not got things quite right at the moment as I just don't seem to get the growth rates that others attain, mine seem more like bonsai adeniums!!...and I'm talking of Brian especially...how does he do it here in the UK?? I have 2 other larger plants given to me by Brian this summer and they are doing fine, but they did have a head start didn't they?
Anyway, this post is about my seed sown efforts, these are the Arabicum gang...thanks to Rick who gifted me a multi-variety bag of goodies in Jan to help me replace my stock that were lost due to 'the unmentionable incident' while we were on holiday, sigh.. They were duly planted in early Feb and these are the results to date....
firstly, here are the Arabicums, note their distinct thickened bases and even the branch arrangement is different...very unlike the obesum growth even at this early stage. The leaves are tougher and more leathery, some are rounder too. They are the 'Bouquet' variety.
{{gwi:353693}}

here are the Ad.obesum 'Lucia' seedlings showing a wide variation in size and overall shape...
{{gwi:353695}}

and the Ad. obesum 'Saturn' seedlings with a more uniform size and shape and slightly thinner leaves
{{gwi:353696}}

these are some NOID obesums, the 2 in the terracotta pots are from a couple of old seeds I re-discovered from an earlier ebay sowing spree...
{{gwi:353697}}

these were also from ebay and are mixed Somalense varieties...they have lance shaped leaves with an almost pinkish mid-rib
{{gwi:353698}}

and finally, my 3 survivors that have been through a lot in their short lives but refuse to give up on me. One day they WILL flower...so far the buds are not doing well, it's too late in the UK season I fear...oh well, I still like them!! They are ready for a wash actually as I find when I water them it leaches upwards and they 'stain' badly. A quick swish with my soft paintbrush dipped in lukewarm water and kept specifically for the job (and dusting the leaves) works wonders.
{{gwi:353699}}

Thanks for looking in, I really enjoy my plants and chatting/reading posts here on Gweb ;)
Gill, UK

This post was edited by greenclaws on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 14:34

Comments (8)