SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Some good fruits for me so far in 2007

Scott F Smith
16 years ago

Here is a summary of some varieties of fruit I have had good luck with this year. The squirrels got nearly all of my peaches and plums so little to report there unfortunately. The apples have been ripening earlier due to the weather, but still many varieties have yet to ripen. Also many varieties are still not fruiting, for example not a one of my 40+ European pears have fruited.

Kidds Orange Red apple seems to do very well in our hotter summers, just like its child Gala. The apples even look a lot like Gala. I find the flesh denser and more flavorful than Gala. Both Gala and KOR are easy growers for me and produce unblemished fruit in spite of no disease sprays on my trees this summer. This is considered one of the best-tasting of the Cox children, and I would definitely concur for the mid-Atlantic! It is not as productive now as my Gala but the tree is also smaller. Highly recommended.

Golden Nugget - KOR was Cox x Delicious, this is Cox x Golden Delicious. This is a very rich, mellow apple. It is quite early and goes mealy pretty fast but I'm keeping my tree for sure.

Reine des Reinettes - this guy looks very similar to Gala but is much denser, and with a more interesting flavor. Most of them are not ripe yet but it is looking promising.

Gala - these guys are a no-brainer for the mid-atlantic, they produce very high-quality fruit which is far superior to the store versions. Plus they come in on the early side but keep well given when they come in. I find them a bit lacking in flavor compared to e.g. Kidds. They are on the small side.

Ribston Pippin - these guys are just coming in now. It is a very good apple with lots of flavor. The apples are all looking good and are also big; somehow I had thought this was a smaller-fruited kind.

Smokehouse - this apple has a unique flavor which I like a lot. Its hard to describe but more on the "mellow" side. I am however having problems with skin diseases and rotting and the birds are liking to peck on them a lot. Still I am going to keep it since it is really unique.

Jefferis - similar to Smokehouse comments but with a different and somewhat less interesting flavor. The skin is very thin. This one is a maybe at this point, more experience is needed. It is an early apple which goes bad fast.

Sturmer Pippin - nearly all of the apples are not ripe yet but a couple ripened early. The fruits are quite small and I should have thinned more, but I think they are on the small side anyway. The taste is quite surprising, some bites have a fairly strong anise-like flavor. I expect it will be a keeper for sure.

Gravenstein - I didn't get too many of these but the ones I got were very good. This is not supposed to be a good east-coast apple but I have been very happy with it so far.

Gold Dust peach - tastes like a regular season peach but is very early. I don't like most early-season peaches and this is the one exception I found. It is a west-coast peach but seems to grow well for me. My tree is very low and spreading.

George IV peach - this is an old heirloom white peach. The tree was small and the fruit were very small, but the flavor was excellent and juicy.

Indian Cling peach - I am starting to harvest these now, it is a late peach with red/white flesh. It is very tangy in taste. It is more a cooking/canning variety and I am going to cook them up soon but they are also good fresh. Last year I got some Indian Free (not yet ripe this year) and they were better for fresh eating since they were not so sour.

La Crescent plum - I am not 100% sure on the ID of this plum. It is a very nice apricot-tasting plum which has been very disease-resistant and easy to grow.

Shiro - these grow well in my climate and are a decent plum, perhaps a touch on the boring side though. But, the tree is very happy and is very productive.

Every year I find the tree quality and pollination to be more and more important in my plum selections, I have too many unhappy Japanese plum trees. Elephant Heart, Santa Rosa, Satsuma, any Pluots, and Howard Miracle I would not recommend any of for mid-atlantic growers. I did get my first pluot this year, exactly ONE Flavor King fruit. It was picked a bit early due to cracking but was still extremely sweet and tart. It was literally like popping one of those sweet-tart candies in your mouth. I'm sure my kids would love them. I am going to keep my pluots for a few more years to see if time makes them any more productive, but I doubt it, and the shothole loves them too much anyway.

Prune d'Agen is doing very well for me, it is productive and the fruit are very sweet.

Coe's Golden Drop produced a few excellent juicy yellow plums this year.

Apricots: Tomcot was very good with large 'cots; Puget Gold tasted a notch better but had smaller fruit. Harglow was less interesting and is on the chopping block.

Cherries: I did not get a big harvest this year. Hedefingen is the best-tasting sweet cherry for me, the other ones that fruited were good but I was less impressed with (Black Gold, White Gold, Lapins). The moths loved the White Gold unfortunately, most fruits were infested. Several sours fruited but not enough to cook with. I now don't think there is any reason to grow the ones besides Montmorency -- I have Jubileum, Balaton, and Danube but I prefer the classic stronger Montmorency flavor to those. Note this is based on fresh eating only.

Asian pears: Hosui, Kosui and Shinsui have been excellent. Some of the others are not as good flavor-wise; I didn't properly log those names though. Blandness and bitterness are the downsides I found in the others.

Grapes: Canadice was tasty last year but not as much this year and they also didn't color up much. My best grape was Swenson Red which is a delicious seeded grape. The Golden Muscat is also very good, it has an intense sweet-tart flavor. I made some good jam from NY Muscat; these are too strong for fresh eating but are very flavorful when cooked. Muscat Hamburg is also very good, it is a classic vinafera eating and wine grape. But, vinafera grapes are much more hassle to grow and it doesn't seem worth it for this one. I am keeping it since I already have many vinafera wine grapes which I need to spray a lot anyway. Of my wine grapes I have yet to get enough production to make wine, but I am optimistic on Touriga Nacional and Mourvedre in terms of the vine quality, hardiness, and fruit productivity and quality so far.

Scott

Comments (29)

• austransplant
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Scott,

Thanks for your post; it is really helpful for those of us in the mid-Atlantic looking for what grows well here. I was rather intrigued to know what you did this year regarding spraying. I seem to recall that you had planned to use Surround.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    16 years ago

On the apples, peaches and plums I used Surround plus spinosad and it worked very well. I had some curc damage but it was mainly from starting the sprays a bit too late. I probably had 10% moth damage or less over all fruits, which is very good as far as I am concerned. I also bagged quite a few fruits with footies but I expect I will skip that next year since the sprays worked well enough. The apples in footies are more likely to be blemish-free so they did help, if I had only a few fruits I would consider bagging instead.

On the downside, I had a lot of fireblight strikes and may need to spray antibiotics next spring. I had done copper dormant sprays in previous winters but last winter I only did lime-sulphur and I wonder if that did not put me at more risk. I had never had major fireblight problems before. Also some varieties of apples have significant surface blemish problems, they need some disease spray I guess. I am leaning to just pulling those guys out rather than having to spray the apples for diseases. Cedar apple rust has been cosmetic on most trees but also a few trees seem to be magnets and those may have to go.

Scott

• Related Discussions

just some of the ones that have bloomed so far for me this spring

Q

Comments (1)
    feel like sharing some seeds for postage? :) I have a huge fence I need to cover... Ri
    ...See More

so far,so good ...

Q

Comments (2)
    "green chile">>>means a new mex variety like an anaheim or sandia, or big jim or something related. I have some commercial grower friends that are growing the bhut from NMSU and they both said that when they tasted the pods at the immature level they were surprised by the lack of heat. Most hab styles are hot from the get go but I think these might be different. Another friend in louisiana growing them said the green one he tasted was about as hot as a regular habaner but when he tasted the ripe ones he was blown away by the heat that developed. kendra
    ...See More

What I learned so far this season 2007...

Q

Comments (7)
    1. Rabbits love my pole beans. Time for some rabbit and bean soup! 2. When planting seedlings, figure out the spacing, and then DOUBLE it. Those little guys are going to get HUGE. 3. Starting your own seeds ROCKS! The plants I started are huge compared to the ones I bought. 4. Feed the soil. The soil feeds the plants. Compost is black gold. Worm compost is black platinum, maybe black diamonds. 5. Get the stakes out earlier. I lost a couple of my home-grown babies to the harsh weather in May, which I think could have been prevented if they'd have had a bit more support. 6. Ignore the people who think you're crazy for having 60+ tomato plants for your own use. THEY are the crazy ones. ;) Mike
    ...See More

Pics of my lawn. So far, so good!!

Q

Comments (10)
    Chinch bugs like hot soil, so keeping the area cool with deep watering is key. It might need to be a little deeper next to the sidewalk and drive way. After you get them, it's different. I've never had them but I would try attracting birds to that area. Birds like bird baths and seed feeders. If you can't attract enough birds to the spot, then beneficial nematodes. I like the ones called Guardian Lawn Patrol or something like that. Company is in Colorado. Beneficial nematodes carry a disease that kills the bugs within 24 hours. Nobody tells you this but they must be applied to saturated soil. If you apply to dry soil, you just wasted your money.
    ...See More
  • murkwell
    16 years ago

Thanks Scott,

I really enjoyed reading your opinions.

I'm disappointed to hear that Howard's Miracle has been difficult because I was planning to plant one this spring.

I've been disappointed with the health of my European plum varieties that I have grafted onto a Peach rootstock. this year the Italian Prune and Early Laxton have been having a very hard time. The only plums I got were 2 Reine Claude de Bavay fruits. The one that was ripe "tastes like candy" according to my girlfriend.

My grapes are putting on their first crop this year.

I've been tasting them every day or so because I've never had them before and I'm not sure when they are supposed to be ripe.

So far Sweet Seduction is my favorite be far and Venus seems like a dud. Sweet Seduction is very sweet when ripe and has a spicy finish that almost leaves the back of my throat itchy. I only allowed a handful of bunches to grow this season. I'm looking forward to getting enough to juice.

My Muscat Ottonnel may not be ripe yet. It is my only seeded grape and the fruits are much larger than the seedless. So far they are very bland. Hopefully they add flavor as they develop. I'm not too optimistic though because I assume that grapes go from sour to sweet, but that a grape that is destined to be flavorful will have some type of flavor before it is dead ripe. Hope I'm wrong.

I also have Canadice and Glenora that hopefully aren't ripe yet because they are either sour or not that flavorful.

Jupiter and Einset haven't fruited for me yet.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Murky, Howard Miracle may in fact grow fine in your climate which is quite a bit different than mine. For me it is a bad shot-hole magnet and does not pollinate well in spite of being quite a big tree. Also it has a very strange growing habit, sending out way too many small shoots to make a very dense canopy. This year I was set to get my first plum (that is plum in the singular, off a tree with a 5" diameter trunk) and something stole it so I never got to try the fruit.

One thing I am not sure about the Japanese plums that are not pollinating well is if they wil improve with age. I am probably going to get rid of my Howard Miracle this winter due to its unmanageable growth habit, and the Elephant heart is pretty much gone already since it was a shothole "typhoid mary" earlier this spring so I topworked it, but I am going to try to hang on to the others awhile longer.

Thanks for the report on the Sweet Seduction, I was interested in that one. I could not tell from the Raintree description if it was a vinafera or not but I am guessing it is.

Scott

• geraldo
    16 years ago

I agree with your KOR assessment, but I want to ask you where you purchased your Ribston, because mine are small. I really think there are only a few places to obtain some of these varieties to make sure you get the correct one. I am about ready to pull Tomcot out of the ground. On Monday they are not too ripe, but on Wednesday they are going to the ground. Few things bother me more with a variety.
    I am not happy with most plums I planted. They are nothing special. Very disappointed in Laroda. My dad always said Santa Rosa wasn't worth it and he was right. I do like Italien prune and will always have it in the orchard.
    I am diametrically opposed to your position on sour cherries.
    All views and observations are IMHO, and in consideration of my climate, soil, methods, taste buds, etc. etc.

• franktank232
    16 years ago

How old are your Tomcot and Puget Gold? When did they start to bear fruit? That La Crescent plum sounds interesting, i'll have to look it up. I have a Reliance grape, but its only in its first year.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Geraldo, I was thinking my Ribston was from Cummins, but I just looked it up and it was from Botner. He is not completely reliable so you may be on to something there. I looked up some web pictures though and it does look pretty similar to the size, shape, and coloring of my apples. I also learned it is a triploid which tends to make apples big. My Tomcot also did what yours did, but the tree is right in a traffic area so I didn't mind it so much.

Frank, those apricot trees are in their 5th year. They fruited a touch last year and a bit more this year (still not a lot). I lost at least a year on them due to cicadas so you should subtract a year.

Scott

• geraldo
    16 years ago

Scott, it is possible that there are two strains of Ribston running around out there, just as there are at least two strains of Foxwhelp apple. I guess. I have also heard this about Indian peaches and Bing cherry and Concord grape. A big Ribston would be a nice apple to have.

• franktank232
    16 years ago

Scott-
    Here is what my "Growing Fruit In The Upper Midwest" by Don Gordon says about "La Crescent" plum.

"LaCrescent ('Golden LaCrescent','Golden Minnesota'). Introduced at Excelsior, Minnesota, in 1923, this plum is a cross of 'Shiro' X 'Howard yellow'. The fruit is small to medium, and the skin is yellow, sometimes with a light blush. The flesh is yellow, sweet, juicy, freestone, and somewhat suggestive of apricots. The fruit quality is excellent for fresh eating, good for jam, and fair to good for jelly. The tree is vigorous but only moderately productive."

Not sure what would pollinate it? I have Superior and Alderman.

• franktank232
    16 years ago

Scott-

How have your paw paw done this year? I know from doing a little searching you grow those too.

• dethride
    16 years ago

Thanks, Scott, for posting your observations. KOR looks seductive, but I'm not going to get any more trees. I can't care with the few I have. I envy your obsessive dedication! I agree on Galas's, the store-boughts just don't measure up. I just picked my three, yes THREE, today and surprised my wife with a slice. She is always astonished at the real food that comes out of our orchard and garden. Hmmm. Maybe just one more tree...

• chills71
    16 years ago

Franktank...I didn't get any pawpaws this year (but then again one bloomed b4 the freeze and the other afterwards and before now only one had bloomed).

I do see buds on 3 of my 6 for next year, though.

~Chills

• franktank232
    16 years ago

I'm actually stratifying seed for next spring. I have zone denial and plan on chancing it. Too bad on that paw paw situation. Around here they are unheard of and very few people even know what they are.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Frank, I'll try to post a followup on my later harvests. I should go look at my pawpaws, the fruit are big and should be ripening soon.

Dethride, if you are obsessive like me you really have to watch it. All those variety descriptions are siren songs. I am actually quite relieved now that I have no more room for more trees, all I can do is graft varieties on to what I already have.

Scott

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

Here is the small orchard story here in southern New Hampshire.

Shinseiki pears -- sweet, delicious and plentful. 3 trees.

Hosui pears -- productive, large fruit, not ripe yet though. 1 tree

Saturn peaches -- attacked by some blight, tiny, terrible. This was the first year they bore fruit. 1 tree

Champion peaches -- white, delicious fruit, very small fruit though. I need to learn how many to thin out. Way too many fruit to be useful. 1 tree.

Elberta peach -- lots of fruit, some big peaches, still not rip yet. 1 tree

Queen's Cox pippin -- only 3 apples on this tree there were about 6. Will this tree ever produce any fruit? 1 tree

northstar and Lapin cherries -- terrible. Hardly any cherries. Maybe too young. The northstar got some kind of wilt on it too.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK here are some more things for me which are coming out nicely.

Claygate Pearmain - this apple has loads of flavor, with a nice touch of sourness along with it. Excellent!

Hawaii This apple is a lot like its parent Yellow Delicious, but it is more "clean" in taste. Very aromatic.

Hewes Crab This is primarily a cider apple but I just love eating them fresh. They only have a small amount of tannins in them but a huge amount of flavor. They go mealy fast but they are so good I still want to eat every single bite of the mealy ones.

Mother I had some of these too early and they were nothing special. They need to hang on the tree until there is no green left on the bottom. At that point you need to pick them and eat them right away. If eaten this way they are one of the most aromatic and flavorful sweet apples out there. They go downhill fast. This is a great home apple and a horrible commercial one given the small window of picking. They ripen over a period of a couple weeks.

Reinette de Cuzy This is a French variety not common here. It has an unusual savory taste which I like a lot.

Canada Reinette This is primarily a cooking apple but is also great fresh eating if you like sweet-sour apples. It is sweet plus sour plus wonderfully aromatic.

Roxbury Russet A classic American variety which has been growing very well for me. It has a well-balanced sweet-sour flavor. Not aromatic like Canada Reinette however.

Indian Free peach This is different from the Indian Cling above, they are completely unrelated. It is a fresh eating peach with a delicate flavor that is unique. Not tart like the Indian Cling. It is very late, I just harvested them.

Honey Jar jujube Pleasant honeyed favor

Li jujube Nice and sweet; Honey Jar is a touch better but Li is also very good.

In general I would call jujubes "keepers" - pleasant crunchy fruit with no pests or diseases to fight off. I'm not sure why these guys didn't catch on more.

Scott

• franktank232
    16 years ago

I see Sanhedrin Nursery lists the Indian Free peach. Does this ripen later then all your other peaches? Does it bloom later? How about fruit size? I've been tossing around adding an Elberta, but maybe this would work better.

• geraldo
    16 years ago

Saturn peach: not worth the space in your orchard.
    Sweet 16 apple: this? this is the apple about which people have been raving? No flavor one week and then the next they have brown seeds with not too bad of a flavor; only problem is the flesh turns brown almost instantly.
    Splendour apple: what a dud.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Frank, Indian Free is the latest blooming and the latest ripening of my 30 or so peach varieties. Well, maybe not quite, Heath Cling has still not ripened. But the tree produced only one peach so the timing is not too accurate. The peaches have been a bit on the small side for me, bigger than apricots but smaller than the modern store peach. One advantage of the later peaches is you can produce more peach flesh on a tree with a later peach since it has so much longer to increase their size. In other words less thinning is needed.

Scott

• franktank232
    16 years ago

Interesting, thanks. Your going to live to a 100 eating all this home grown fruit!

• chills71
    16 years ago

I'm sure I've probably asked and you've probably answered (either me or someone else) before, but how old were the jujube's when they started to fruit?

~Chills

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chills, I have found them to be inconsistent. You can get a few fruits the same year from some varieties, and some other trees are 4 years old with no fruit. Honey Jar and Li are some of the fastest ones. Tsao is also producing a lot for me (but, they are boring in taste so far). Lang, Sugar Cane, Shanxi Li and Shui Men are all four years old and no fruit.

Scott

• franktank232
    16 years ago

Scott-

Could you please inform me where you got your "Indian Free" peach from? I'm tempted to order it since its so late for ripening, but i don't want to order the wrong one! I could only find it here:

http://www.sanhedrinnursery.com/detail.php?pid=242

Thanks.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Frank, I got it from the same ultimate source, Dave Wilson Nursery. I got it through Bay Laurel Nursery, one of the other nurseries selling DW trees online.

I owe another installment on the fruits.

Wickson - this little apple has been excellent. It needs to hang until the background turns yellow. It keeps a long time. The taste is more like a stone fruit: sweet/sour like a plum and the aroma of peaches and apricots. Yum!!

Myers Royal Limbertwig - A very nice apple on the sweet side with good aroma as well. It has the pendulant branch habit of many limbertwigs.

Rambour d'Hiver - a large French apple which is pretty obscure these days. It is actually not that different from many American apples, e.g. Stayman Winesap comes to mind. Not a strong aromatic favor but a very good sweet/sour balance plus an exceptionally good crunch.

Gold Rush - not too many apples this year but they are all excellent - hard, flavorful, with this unusual anise/spicy flavor. A truly great gourmet apple. The quality of the fruit has been very good. The tree did well except it gets cedar apple rust - not sure why this tree touted for such disease resitance is a CAR magnet.

Most of my White Winter Pearmain dropped to early, I think the tree lacked water (it sits on a raised area). But, a couple hung on and they are really excellent apples -- something like a Mutsu but quite a bit more concentrated in aromatic flavors.

My Geneva 3 hardy kiwis are coming in now, tons of 'em. They are ripening unevenly which makes harvest difficult. I don't like them until they have started to shrivel, they are too acidic before then. Fully ripened they are very good, a bit better than a good Hayward.

I had a big harvest of quince and made various compotes, jelllies, etc. I don't know how big a fan I am of them, it takes a lot of quince to make jelly and I feel like I am just flavoring sugar. My wife made a baked quince recipe which was very good. If nothing else the quince will be handy as pectin for other jellies and jams.

Scott

• murkwell
    16 years ago

Scott, I love your reports and updates.

Last year I discovered quince and made jelly, quince butter which were both good. This year I started baking them and I think that is the best application. I also think sugar sweetened quince sauce is better than apple sauce.

I like them baked skin on halved or quartered with about half and inch of water and pretty well dosed with lavendar sugar. Mmmm, with a scoup of fancy vanilla icecream and a little of the reduced syrup from the pan it is amazing.

For the jelly/butter I'd cook the quince in a little water and then strain for juice. The juice became jelly and the solids become butter with a bunch of cinnamon and sugar. I liked the jelly (subtle) but others seemed to like the butter better.

All of the above was with Pineapple variety of quince I believe.

I wish I'd tried the Wickson crabs this year as was suggested to me.

• austransplant
    16 years ago

Scott,

I am planning to plant a quince this fall or next spring. Quinces have a lot of culinary uses. In middle eastern cooking they are often cooked with meat. The Spanish have a quince paste called membrillo eaten with cheese or meats -- it is quite tasty. The quinces are stewed with water and then sieved and boiled with sugar and then put into grease proof pains and cut into small slices when cold. You can usually find lots of quince recipes in old English cookbooks, but a more modern author to check out is Jane Grigson. She has a whole book on fruit recipes you can probably locate on Amazon. Old 19th century cookbooks (and also some classic books on fruit growing) can be downloaded as (big) PDF files from Google books.

• franktank232
    16 years ago

Thank you.

I think everyone here appreciates your updates.

Those kiwis sound good! My wife and I eat them whole, skin on. I've bought a ton of the New Zealand Zespri brand kiwis. They are gigantic and 3/$1.00 at the local coop.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Murky, thanks for the cooking tips. I was about to toss the jelly leftovers, a big bowl of quince mush, but decided to try some quince sauce so added sugar to the mush. It is indeed very good! I'm glad I can get double use out of it.

Scott

• theaceofspades
    16 years ago

Thanks for mentioning the 'Indian Cling'. I planted one last spring. H Depot tag says it is 'Indian Blood Peach'. Grown by Glen Wilson Nursery, Oregon, and has print of a VERY large peach. GWN site says they grow 40 million pots a year!

On the internet ; "The 'Indian Blood Peach' has wild parentage and is said to have good disease resistance."

I need to transplant my 'Indian Blood Peach' to the peach row in front yard this winter. I'll add scions to my trade list after 2008 season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Blood or Cherokee Peach