SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

so far,so good ...

vieja_gw
16 years ago

Of 100 chile plants from seed in a ? 10 x 16 ft.plot, hubby has picked 81 lbs of green chile, roasted & frozen so far. The plants are over 50 inches tall & still loaded with green fruit. In another plot the jalapeños are also doing well & the green that isn't eaten fresh is in dehydrators now, the ripe red ones are on screens in the garage & both for grinding into powder later. Last year he got 140 + lbs. of chile from his garden ... an example that intensified gardening (planting close together, proper fertilizer & watering) really works for those of us who have to garden in limited space on city lots! So nice to have garden produce to share with friends & neighbors!

A ? though about his newest trial: the Bhut chile from NM State University in Las Cruces, NM is doing fine x seed he purchased (though I must say I have seen prettier looking chile ... those strange wrinkled specimens!) but he has tried some not mature pods & says they weren't hot at all & disappointed .. ? Do they get hotter with maturity? Does any one plant these because they like the taste/heat or are they kind of an oddity to just grow?

I'm just a 'bell pepper'& 'tomato' growing gal so am not too excited about the chile growing but had to kind of 'brag' about hubby's retirement hobby that keeps him from boredom & out of the kitchen ... even though I lost a lot of my garden space to chile!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths