SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goosegas

Lightning Strike

Goosegas
11 years ago

Two days ago my next door neighbor's Palm Tree took a direct hit from a lightning strike. The current went into the ground, through my TV and Internet cable and fried the box outside my garage.

The following day I noticed that my sprinkler system did not pop up as scheduled. I was a little skeptical about it being from the lightning, since we didn't even get a power lull or surge. Having said that, I don't see how it could be anything else.

Today I had a water service tech out here and he claims the timer is fried, although there is power to the unit and all the info stored in the timer is still visible, but the zones just won't pop up. He gave me an estimate of $300 just to replace the timer. He said that there is no other way to troubleshoot the problem until we have a working timer.

This means that if there is wire damage, valve damage, etc., we will be way above my ability to afford this repair.

I want to believe that he was actually accurately able to determine that the timer is shot. Assuming he is correct, I ordered a new timer, better than the one he wanted $300.00 to install, for $90, and free overnight shipping.

My hope is that when I install the new timer all will be well. Unfortunately my luck doesn't usually work out that way. If I change out the timer, what would be the next logical place to look? Also, if the wiring needs to be changed out, how difficult is it for someone who has physical problems to run new wire? Luckily the wire runs only about 50 ft., along the edge of the house, to the valve box. I just don't know how far down or how hard it would be to run new wiring.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. It's not a great situation to be both disabled and have very limited funds to work with.

Thanks Folks!

Rick

Comments (9)