SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vancleaveterry

Lightning Strikes

15 years ago

My dad today asked me to look at his naturalized spreading ferns that are thick behind his home to see why a patch more than twenty five feet across had died. Ligtning had struck the 60 foot tall tupelo in the center of the dead patch. Bark strips three inches wide or so were missing here and there up the trunk. The path of missing bark had also gone through a small piece of metal that had been nailed (for some unknown reason) about seven feet up in the tree. The tupelo seems to be surviving.

I was wondering why the 60' tupelo had been hit and not the 80' pine next to it, sixteen feet away, when I saw that it had been hit too. And that the pine beetles were already hard at work on it. My parents lost some appliances two weeks ago and we suppose this strike, fifty feet away from any power lines and eighty feet from the home, must be the cause.

Lightning strikes are more common than I thought. Five years ago a good friend (best man in my wedding) had lightning strike his big live oak just off his deck, thirty feet from his home. It blew out a strip of bark 5 inches wide by seven feet long that landed LIKE A SPEAR!some thirty of forty feet away. He left that speared in the ground for a year or so until it rotted. An arborest thinned the tree and it continues to live.

One year ago, my business partner had a strike on a water oak (I think...or maybe a pine) forty feet from his home. Left the tell tale strips of missing bark. I need to ask what became of that tree.

Do others see this much lightning activity on the property of their close friends?

Am I a target? Should I get to Church more often?

Mississippi coast

Comments (18)