SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdgt225innh

Lightning strikes fry garage door photo eye

jdgt225innh
15 years ago

Every year(no exaggeration) one of my photo eyes on my garage doors gets a shock from a nearby lighning strike, which of course kills it. Every year I have to replace the sensor. It's the same one every time. It took a few years and a few mother boards before I installed lightning suppressors. They seem to work because the mother boards are fine. Today I was out in my garage sitting in my lawn chair watching the storm go by and then BANG! For a second I didn't know where I was. I could actually taste the electricity. Luckily I was sitting in a plastic chair. Lighning struck right outside and I heard a POP down by the sensor that normally goes bad. Sure enough it is dead and the mount bolt is charred.

My question is, what can I do to prevent this annual event from happening, which is costing me $35.00 a whack? I tried putting electrical tape on the mount bolt. The bracket is mounted to the wall, sheetrock and wooden stud. I'm not sure where the charge is coming from. Could it be ledge? Rebar in the foundation/slab? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Dave

Comments (6)