SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Are You Unable to Leave Your Garden Alone?

I hope some of you suffer from this malady so that I won't feel like such a freak. Yes, overall I'm satisfied with the garden and know that I don't want to and really can't make any huge changes, given the layout and time and energy constraints. Sometimes it even looks very beautiful to me. But, I just can't let the poor thing be. Something is always niggling away at me to make it even better, to change something, to do away with something or replace it with something else, etc. etc. Take this weekend, for instance. I had a beautiful bush of Cottage Rose in full and glorious bloom and I yanked it out. Sound crazy? Well, I had my reasons. It was too "sugary pink", the color not subtle enough. It was encroaching on The Fawn and in the not too distant future the two would have been a tangled mess. I cut off all the blooms and put them in two large vases (see "In the House and in the Garden" thread on regular rose forum for pics if at all interested), cut the bush down to the nubbins to make it easier for my husband to take it out, and went shopping for a birdbath. Within half an hour I'd found one I liked in our local little community (and what are the chances of that?), bought a fuchsia-colored pelargonium to plant in front of it, and created a new garden vignette. Let me hasten to say that I have another bush of Cottage Garden in the near vicinity, which is backed by gray boulders which somehow mitigates the brightness of the pink.

Today I decided my blooming plant of Clair Matin had to go because I realized it was never going to be any color other than salmon, which I dislike, rather than the beautiful shades of pink I'd so admired in pictures of Florence's garden. Tomorrow off it goes to a happier home in a friend's garden. The plus side is two less roses to water and fertilize and the satisfaction of having tweaked the garden into something better and ultimately more satisfying, at least to me.

Does anyone else engage in this emotionally draining behavior? Does it ever stop? Should I be seeing someone with a medical credential after their name? I have to confess, at some level it's exciting and fun, at least when I can get over the guilt for being so flighty or whatever one might call it.

Ingrid

Comments (18)