SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Roses that make stupid songs run through your head

Hi folks

It struck me the other day that when I see the label for a rose, it always triggers that song in my head if there's a match. Now I don't mind this at all for roses like Mrs. Robinson, or Rockin' Robin, or Chantilly Lace, or Blueberry Hill - heck, I'll even sing back to them when they bloom well ("Oooh, baby thats'a what I like!!).

The trouble is when a rose label triggers something you REALLY don't want stuck in your head for the next 4 hours out in the garden. I love Maggie, but I consciously try not to think of Rod Stewart when I see her. And I don't consider it the fault of Souvenir de Louis Amade if he triggers the dreadfully repetitive "Louie Louie", or Delta Gold if she channels Helen Reddy and another "faded rose of days gone by".

But I do think I'd draw the line at a rose that makes me get one of the truly dreadful songs stuck in my head, just because it's an unconscious process and nearly impossible to undo once started. The mini "Pina Colada" looks like a lovely flower, but I just couldn't do it because it would leave me beating my head against the sidewalk trying to forget "Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain...". And if they ever name a rose the highly plausible "Night Fever" or even worse, "Tonight's the Night", I know I just couldn't buy it, no matter how lovely and dark red the blooms.

We've had discussions in the past about roses you wouldn't plant because they're named after someone or something you don't like, but I think I could avoid that one (though I'm glad Trump Card is a lovely alternative to Rosie O'Donnell). What do you folks think about the song issue? Do you have those stupid song issues with any roses you have, and would you avoid a rose because of them?

Just curious!

Cynthia

Comments (26)