SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elisa_z5

What would you do with this sandy, deficient soil?

elisa_z5
11 years ago

I'm helping a friend try to start a small garden on the Outer Banks of NC, where last September there was 56 inches of brackish water covering everything after hurricane Irene roared through.

Soil test says there are no heavy metal contamination problems, a PH of 6.5, and though all of the micronutrients are at the low-ish level, the only one below normal is Manganese.

Macro nutrients: N - nonexistant

P - low (4)

K - even lower than low (24),

Calcuim, Low (292) and

Magnesium, between high and v. high (150)

CEC is 2.0 Meq/100 g

Extracable aluminun 6 ppm (soil range 10 - 250ppm) (is this good or bad, to be below range with aluminun?)

The soil is not just sandy, it is SAND. (three lots from the ocean). Grass and bushes grow fine, along with some nice ground covers and honeysuckle. People say fig trees and rosemary grow especially well, so he is planting these. A neighbor down the street grew tomatoes and peppers last year by adding bags of "soil" over top of the sand.

Last fall my friend buried some kitchen scraps and planted some cabbage seedlings over top of this. This spring they are small and edible, BUT almost completely tasteless. (at least they're not bitter.)

He wants a very small garden, in addition to the fig and rosemary -- maybe 4x4 or 4x8.

I've just looked through the ammendments sold to him at the garden store --two bags containing peat, pine bark, composted manure, and lime. A couple boxes of organic fertilizer, one of which contains: feather meal, meat and bone meal, blood meal, sulfate of potash. The other contains: fish bone meal, feather meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, soft rock phosphate, fish meal, mined potassium sulfate and seaweed extract, and says it has pro-=biotic soil microbes plus mycorrhizae.

I've just been reading the threads about peat and bagged mixes -- don't want to wreck anything with these things, yet it seems that the sand here won't grow great veggies if it doesn't have help.

Will these ammendments correct the micronutrient imbalance? Does he need a source of calcium without magnesium to balance that out? Is it okay to add the mix that has peat in it? What would you fill a raised bed with, since pretty much all the mixes at the store have peat and pine bark?

Would you add the peat mix, along with the fertilizers when planting the fig?

Oh -- and there are no earthworms. Could we still just lay additives on top (use no dig) if there is no one in the soil to mix things in?

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (26)