SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

do all vegetables like sandy soil?

NOTE: I realize some may say why don't you post this in container gardening. It's really not about container gardening, but rather what type of soil vegetables in general grow best in. This is preemptive. The only reference to container gardening is the soil mixture I use for container gardening.......and as I just stated, it's only there as a reference.

When I say sandy soil, I'm NOT referring to the kind that is nutrient poor, and doesn't drain well; I'm referring to sandy loam.

If the sandy soil mixture has everything you'd look for in a soil (it drains well, is nutrient rich, and isn't too loose, nor is it too compact, etc.) do all vegetables grow well in sandy soil?

The reason I ask is because I do container gardening and make my own soil mixture; it's a combination of fine bark pine mulch, spaghnum peat moss, vermiculite, lime, sand and a time released dry fertilizer. Currently it's being used for root veggies and spinach,because supposedly they

love sandy soil.

However I'm wondering if it will work for the veggies I plan to grow this summer? These are beans, peppers, melons,squash, tomatoes, eggplant and possibly okra.

I have very little experience growing beans; with bell peppers and eggplant, I've never managed to be able to grow them to maturity. Squash I attempted to grow but was unsuccessful due to pollination issues and overcrowding (putting too many plants in too small of a container).

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!