SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shawna_8

Magnesium Deficiency in heavy lime soil - how do I treat?

shawna_8
15 years ago

I have a rather large garden which I had to plant with no amendments added to the soil - - it is a public garden which is filled with mostly donated plants on the back of my property and I did not have the money to put a lot of additives in. However, I also do not want to lose the plants.

It is heavy clay soil in zone 5 - Chicagoland. My Hydrangea's have shown a Magnesium deficiency for years, and I now see that the entire back acreage - about 120' X 8' of garden is turning yellow from the bottom leaves up and showing signs of a heavy magnesium deficiency. I'm not sure all the plants are going to make it and am quite worried.

The rest of my garden does not show this, but I have added much to the soil over the years inside my fence.

HELP!!! I cannot afford (time or money) to totally replant this garden with additives - meaning rotted manure and more.

I understand I have to water regularly (daily perhaps) with epsom salts, but do not have a lot of time to do this.

Does anyone know of a solution for this where I can make several applications per season versus spending time every day watering?

I've been very concerned about adding Dolomitic Lime since I already have EXTREMELY lime soil.

So what else can I do?

HELP!

Shawna

Comments (8)