SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heatherfish

Potted Key Lime Tree - Nutrient Deficiency?

Heather
8 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to the world of citrus and container growing. I purchased this key lime tree from the clearance section a year and a half ago. When I got it, it had two cracked main branches. I assume something fell on it. I was able to repair the branches, and it's health improved so well last year, it gave me about 30 or so limes.

My new concerns are several. Firstly, I think it will soon be in need of re-potting this spring. If so, what type of soil mix should I use? Also, should I remove as much of the old soil as possible, or just place the whole root ball in a bigger pot?

Second, it has already put out a LOT of new growth this January and I have found 3 leaves that have stared to discolor. I have read soooo much information in forums all over the web trying to figure out the proper fertilizer regimen, but have finally posted here as a cry for help. I am boggled down with too much contradicting advise and feel as though I am running out of time.
To date, I have not fertilized since October based on some advise given to me last year. According to that same advise, I can't fertilize again until may. This seems not correct to me however, because common sense tells me that if it is putting out a lot of new growth and flowers, it will soon start to deplete itself. The fertilizer I was told to use is Rite Green Citrus 4-6-8. I put just a teaspoon or so spread out on the surface of the soil.

In addition, I feel as though I may have been watering a little too much this winter and have cut back by a few days until it warms up here in Orlando.
If I can figure out how to put a photo on here, I will include some.

Thank you in advance for all of your kind help. This seems like a great gardening community. If anyone needs help with bonsai, I can certainly contribute.

Additional Info:

- This tree stays on my covered front porch year around, but has ample light

- I live in Orlando, Florida

- I use rain water when possible for watering, and untreated well water if no rain water is available
- I do not prune just for the sake of pruning

- I take the tree in during the night if temps fall below 42 degrees.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm