SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dominos123

what plants do you have in sandy soil? long post

domino123
10 years ago

Going from rich black clayish topsoil at home to a weekend property that has dry, probably infertile sandy soil. In some areas I can literally dig up pure sand.

We've brought black topsoil in and have amended planting beds with composted manure closest to the house where it's feasible to water on a timer, but looking to add more planting beds further away from the house where in the long term, I need plants that will survive these dry hot conditions (we can water during drought periods) once established.

I'm either zone 5a or 4b. Arborday.com says zone 5, gardenweb says zone 4.

The following is a list I've compiled of trees, shrubs and perennials that SHOULD performs well in these conditions:

Serviceberry' autumn brilliance'
Cornus Kousa dogwood
Malus (crabapple) trees

Weigela shrubs
barberry shrubs

Bearberry (groundcover)
butterfly bush

I currently have hostas, upright sedums, annabelles, daylilies, euphorbia, columbines,dianthus, honeysuckle vine, phlox, boxwood and yews and spirea goldflame, that have done well in amended planting beds thus far. Of these, I'd only trust that the euphorbia, sedums and daylilies would perform well in the hotter, drier areas where I plan to add planting beds. A neighbor has Cerastium Silver Carpet and it looks spectacular.

I purchased Sedum Angelina last year on clearance, they grew beautifullly but they didn't survive the winter, however I suspect that's due to the neighbors large dogs urinating in my planting beds before I put a barrier up.

I'm aware of the literature regarding plants that are supposed to perform well in sandy soil, but I'm looking for feedback from those who have had actual experience with these (or other) plants in similar conditions. What performs well for you?

Other plants I am considering (please comment):

Butterfly bush (Adonis Blue)
Amsonia Hubrichtii
Agastache?? (zone 5?)
Liatris Kobold
Veronicas (these did horribly for me in my rich, clayish soil at home, but they are beautiful)

Also, I prefer neat and tidy, and semi-formal landscaping, and want to attract bees, birds, butterflies and hummers.

Comments (13)