SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesliek_gw

compost, mulch & lead remediation

lesliek
16 years ago

I've been reading this forum almost obsessively for months, and have learned so much from all of you.

Yesterday, I attended a fabulous conference at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, organized around the theme of urban food production. One of the workshops I attended was on soil contamination and remediation, a serious concern for those of us gardening in urban contexts.

I'll be sending out soil samples tomorrow for lead testing -- I can't believe that after all the trouble I've taken to test my various NYC apartments for lead, I've blithely encouraged my 3-year-old twins to play in the dirt in our little brownstone Brooklyn back yard, without ever considering that it might be hazardous. A recent testing of lead levels in Brooklyn and Queens community gardens found many with moderate contamination, and a few with shocking levels of lead: the worst, a stunning 3200 ppm.

And what can one do to reduce lead levels in soil? You guessed it: compost and mulch. Organic matter in the soil apparently bonds to lead, making it unavailable to plants; the workshop facilitators recommended adding as much as 1/3 compost to existing beds where lead is a suspected or significant problem. Mulch, of course, adds organic matter, but also serves as a barrier, keeping lead dust from the soil out of the air ... and lead dust from the air out of the soil.

It all made me take the kids this morning and scurry around the corner to our neighborhood cafe, which has been saving its coffee grounds -- about 40 gallons per week -- for me when I've been able to take them. More ground espresso coming to my back yard soon ... plus I'm going to load up my minivan like nobody's business when NYC's quite wonderful free compost giveback takes place in April.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Brooklyn Bloom: Edible NYC

Comments (4)