SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktgrandy

Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!

ktgrandy
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly Way" by sheet mulching it. This was over a year ago, in the fall. I took a class on how to sheet mulch. We put down cardboard, layers of soil and compost and then mulch over it, as specified. It took a lot of work but we congratulated ourselves for being green! A year later we noticed weeds coming up through the mulch. Then bermuda grass. Lots of bermuda grass, along with Oxalis and other weeds. Now we have a yard full of bermuda grass mixed with mulch. What do we do? Obviously, something went wrong.... The only thing I can think of is that we had hardly any rain last winter and warmer temperatures so the weeds were able to keep growing somehow... Anyway now I fear that we have to do something drastic, like take up all the mulch and soil we put down, have it hauled off, roto till and/or spray or put down weed barrier cloth and bring in completely new soil. Am I right or is there another way? Or would that not even work? We couldn't control ourselves and created a bed along the back fence. Clay soil but we worked it and amended it. Tried to pull out the weeds. Then we planted it. The plants are doing well but the dreaded grass is of course poking up in there already. It sends chills down my spine! Any recommendations are appreciated! FYI we are in Redwood City on the Bay Area peninsula. First picture shows what we are dealing with now. Next shows what it looked like right after sheet mulching, when we had high hopes...

Comments (31)